Come on in...

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mortified.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.
Sydaleigh had a doozee of a "three" moment leaving our playgroup this morning.
Oh my gosh, I was so mortified.
Of course it happened in front of everyone, so all these lovely people got to pay witness to my daughter being as defiant as she possibly could be.
Did I mention I was mortified?
I was really hoping to bury my head and disappear, it was that bad.
Uhhhh.
I would really like to get to the point where I can say, "Sydaleigh, please do this.."
and she will reply, "okay Mommy!"....
rather than.....
"NOOOOO!"
"WAAAAA!"
These moments are definitely hard, but it made it so much harder that it happened in front of people today!
Friends actually had to intervene, oh my gosh, I was dying of embarrassment.
Welp, no denying that we're real.
We have meltdowns, and tantrums, and defiant fits, and moments where all I want to do is pull my hair out in frustration of it all.
But then when tempers have calmed, and the crying and screaming have ceased, we have other real moments too-hugs, kisses, "I'm sorry's", "okay Mommy, I'm happy now", laughing, snuggling, and putting these meltdowns as far as the east is from the west-no grudges, or holding against. Forgiven.
Sydaleigh is really at a very cool age. She is learning so much, talking so much, making sense out of so much, it's super cool to see. She gets saying "I'm sorry", she's gets forgiveness, understands love and affection and emotions, all in her special almost three year old way.
I love all these almost three year old qualities, just not so fond of the defiant outbursts.

(this is usually a once a week occurance, I know, better than every day with the "two's", I just hope next time it's not in front of so many people, or if it is, at least be in a place where we can run away real fast!)

1 comment:

Holly said...

there's good news...
when Marvelly throws these you won't be so mortified...you'll just roll your eyes and drag her out ;-)
it's always the hardest with the first.
it gets way way better and easier to handle with each passing three year old ;-)