Come on in...

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Focus. Keep your eyes on the BIG picture.

Sydaleigh is two, almost three. Thankfully, our "two" type days are much fewer and rather between than they were at the beginning. However, when we do run into a "two" type moment, though they are less frequent, they have a much greater intensity.
Sydaleigh is getting more independent, as I guess naturally comes with the "threes", and is therefore having to deal with the issue of boundaries.
The big picture is that she is in a power struggle with me- trying to learn what is acceptable, what is not, what she can get away with, whether or not I will be consistent with her, whether or not she can trust me to know what's best for her even when it doesn't make her happy.
What I tell myself...
Consistency.
Don't give up.
Hold on to what is right.
This afternoon was a whopper of a day. It would have been so easy to stop the crying, screaming, yelling, all in all a whopper of a tantrum. Just give her what she wants.
Would have been easy-especially since in the middle of it all I was trying to put Marvi to sleep.
"Don't give in" I told myself, over and over and over.
I'm praising Jesus he gave me the patience and the will I needed today to teach Sydaleigh.
These moments are really hard, and parenting sure isn't easy-but I see the big picture. I'm praying I stay focused on that, rather than the tantrums that distract.

2 comments:

joann said...

rmmSTAY STRONG!!!!!

I think that 3-4 is harder then 2-3 they are older, smarter and try you more. There inocsence is leaving and there words become more developed, and well they send you "patience ride" for sure!

BUT STAY STRONG you are a GREAT MOM and as you well know with the lords help you can do anything

joann said...

sorry that "rmm" was a type-0