Come on in...

Thursday, May 7, 2009

A call I never wish to make again

One moment everything was seemingly normal.... the next moment everything wasn't... and that's when I called 9.1.1. Marvelly spontaneously woke up from her nap with a fever of 101.5 yesterday afternoon. Kind of unusual as she didn't have any other symptoms, wasn't previously acting fussy, but the fever wasn't too high so I dosed her with Tylenol, and we went about our business. 6:00 rolled around and I noticed she was heating up again, so I retook her temperature and her fever was at 101.8, but she wasn't due for more medicine for another hour so I took her outside with me to watch Sydaleigh ride her bike. I sat down in the stroller seat with Marvelly on my lap, her back against my chest, hoping that the breezy evening air would sooth her a bit. A normal evening, with the exception of the unexplainable fever. One.minute.later- it changed. One minute later Marvelly started softly ceasing and shaking in my lap. Seconds after that she went limp. I had no idea what was going on. I turned her around in my lap to look at me, I was so confused by what was happening, she stared off....lifeless...her eyes were open, but here pupils were startling small, she wouldn't look at me, she wouldn't move, I tried calling her name over and over and over but no response. I called for Sydaleigh to come in the house with me...in the miliseconds it took for Sydaleigh to get inside I stood in the doorway softly shaking Marvelly, getting more scared by the second... "what's going on?!" "what's the matter with her?!" Sydaleigh followed me over to the floor and I laid Marvelly down, patted her feet, her arms, her face....and... ...nothing.... ...gone.... ...completely unresponsive... ...and I was alone, and absolutely terrified. Isaak was at school so I had nobody to help me make sense of this, my brain started pulling me in a million different directions, I didn't know what to do, I didn't know who to call, Marvelly still lay there motionless and unresponsive. In what seemed like minutes, but was likely only seconds, or maybe it was minutes, I don't really know, my head told me to call 911. That idea paralyzed me briefly... "was she really so bad that I had to call 911?" "do I really need to call 911?" I asked myself a dozen of these questions in a split second and then I reached for the phone, started to dial a friend's number instead, and before I even realized it, I had hung up and redialed 911. These two things scared me the most... seeing Marvelly lay unresponsive on the floor, and being so desperate for help I had to call for an ambulance. The operators kept me on the phone until the ambulance, police, and fire trucks arrived...which normally would have made my stomach churn with embarrassment, but I couldn't take my eyes off of Marvelly enough to be bothered caring what the neighborhood was thinking. By the time I heard the sirens blaring down my street Marvelly came back, she snapped out of it, wherever her mind had taken her she was back with me now. She started fussing on the floor, but still made no attempt to get up or roll over, she still laid there but was finally responsive to sound, sight and tough. An EMT put an oxygen mask on Marvelly, asked me a few questions, and then waited for me to call someone to pick up Sydaleigh. I had thirty seconds to call the first three friends on my caller ID, I couldn't get in touch with anyone so they let Sydaleigh ride in the ambulance with us to the hospital. The Lord must have sent some angels to stay by Sydaleigh during this ordeal because not one time did she cry, yell, get scared, or refuse to cooperate. She was completely calm. She willingly climbed in the back of the ambulance, a loud big scary ambulance, let a stranger buckle her in, hold her hand, and carry her to the room while my arms were full with Marvelly. Sydaleigh talked excitedly the whole ride to the hospital, even tried to sooth Marvelly in the house on the floor...I could see hands of peace and calmness laid all over her...the Lord was taking care of Sydaleigh because He knew I was too distracted to... "saying thank you seems so small" They strapped me onto a stretcher in the ambulance with Marvelly in my arms. We pulled out of the neighborhood going with the same flow as traffic and then they suddenly turned on the sirens, we started blasting past cars, going through lights...I was watching out the back window as people pulled over to the side of the road to let us pass...it was so surreal that my family were the ones inside, something I never thought would happen, ever. When we got to the hospital a nurse hooked Marvelly up to a million different wires, took her temperature and told me her fever was at 104.6. Marvelly was near uncontrollable at this point, crying hysterically, burning up, and then by the grace of God Isaak showed up not too long after we arrived. He was the one person I got in touch with before we left. All I had time to say was that something was wrong with Marvelly and I called 911. I didn't even tell him what hospital we were going to because I didn't know. I only had time to grab my purse, but not my cell phone, so Isaak had to go to the base clinic to find out where we went. After hours in the hospital Marvelly's temperature finally came down to 99.9, that ruled out Meningitis, no influenza, and we were told she likely has the herpangina virus which can cause fevers to spike rapidly which can lead to seizures, which is not an uncommon occurance in young children such as Marvelly. Okay, good to know. Marvelly had a seizure. (I guessed that much) In my arms. But it's not an uncommon occurance. And it's not to be mistaken for epileptic seizures. Okay, got it. Now I know-the hard way. I was also later told that her unresponsiveness for the painstakingly long minutes that followed was a result of her seizure...the Doctor said her brain was "restarting" so to speak. Restarting. My daughter's brain was restarting...ooookay. That was one of the worst days I've ever experienced. From the looks of the day at the beginning it was a pretty great one. Isaak had the day off, gymnastics, family time, I actually got to go to the gym for the first time in forever... normal... no where in my line of sight did I foresee Marvelly having a seizure and having to witness her little 15 month old baby body lay unresponsive before me. That was a day I hope I never have to revisit. But...that hope is the one thing that's not promised to me. What is promised to me, what I also witnessed first hand yesterday is that when I'm in the middle of a nightmare, I won't go through that nightmare alone. He was with me, Marvelly, and Sydaleigh, I could feel Him, I was hanging on by a thread, but it was His thread, His thread kept me from unraveling. And for that I am eternally grateful. (even when she's hooked up to a million wires she is still so cute)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I have been trying to put myself in your place all day and get close before I get too scared to 'go there' and back off before the tears start.

We serve an amazing God...that's all I can say.

Liz W. said...

you poor thing...I'm just speechless, I can't imagine how aweful that was. I'm thinking about you.