Come on in...

Friday, July 15, 2011

Wretched day

What a day.  It's been down right wretched.

Because of me, because of circumstances out of my control, because of sin.

I hate today.

I hate sin.

"Hate what is evil..."

I.hate.sin.

And today....it seems like it's everywhere. It's like I woke up and was literally seeing it engulfing everything. Seeking to consume anything in it's path. Sin isn't biased. It shows so favorites. Like a fire it will seek to immerse you in it's all consuming flames. Suffocating you. Robbing you of life.


Something about today. I'm just feeling the heat of that fire. I can practically feel the flames dancing towards me feet, creeping closer, all around me. I look down and see little bits of flame singeing my clothes. Crawling up my shoes. I try to shake it off and pound it out...but the fire is persistent. 

And it seems everything is being engulfed in wretched flames....patience combusting, dreams being torched, marriages being burned, loving attitudes incinerating, selflessness charred, obedience scorching, grace smoldering.... 

Today was heavy. Wretchedly heavy. 

"...Cling to what is good."
-Romans 12:9

Jesus is good. No matter how wretchedly heavy life feels...Jesus is good. The only good I want to cling to. The only good worth clinging to. 

When the military throws frustrating circumstances my way, when I am not loving or grace extending, when my family is acting like a bunch of hooligans....when my stomach falls into a bottomless pit over grievous, heart wrenching news today of a precious friend I've never met....Jesus is good.

Even when everything else isn't.

Jesus is good.
Clinging to what is good. Hating what is evil. 

Clinging to what is good. 

On my knees in deep prayers that His goodness will extinguish the flames all around me and those I love. Jesus' goodness is the only thing that can.

No comments: