Come on in...

Friday, July 8, 2011

Dropkick Murphy's

DropKick Murphy's were awesome! They have been Isaak's favorite band for so long now, and it was cool to get to see them together and with some of his friends when they popped over to town.

I feel like I need to say this because I have been getting flack....yes, in the beginning, I may have not given them a fair chance, dismissing them as "noise, or whatever...but upon closer inspection, I have concluded that I love them. Totally. love. them. Because....(in no particular order)

1. They are hard core hockey fans. To the extreme. Which scores like quadruple bonus points in my book...being raised a bit of a hard core hockey fanatic myself.

2. Umm, bagpipes! Nuf flippin' said!

3. Banjo and whistle. Makes any music that much better.

4. Funniest quirkiest lyrics ever.

5. Fantastic combination of Irish and punk and romantic blend. (Any music containing Irish qualities is romantic to me. Yeah, even if it's considered punk rock. I do not care. It's still good. And really, they're not even punk, I'd personally categorize them with just plan 'rock'....but whatever.)

6. They play for their fans. It's become somewhat of a tradition to invite them up onto the stage for the last numbers of the night. (in smaller venues anyways.)


 7. Their music makes you want to bust out an Irish jig. Of which I know none. But if I wasn't concerned about being crushed to death on the main floor, I would have scrounged one up from deep in my Irish roots.

(The only thing that I was slightly disappointed about was that listening to them perform live, obviously venues don't have the same type of acoustics as in a studio, so it was hard to hear and distinguish all the different elements of their music like you can on an album. But, you can't beat the atmosphere of a live performance. So, c'est la vie. )

The crowd was hilarious. Which I wasn't expecting. But dude, that was the most eclectic bunch of people. There were ten year olds, your punk crowd, what I would consider "seniors", middle aged country club folk with tucked in polo's and golf hats, I mean, seriously...it was so fun to people watch and see everyone who came out to hear them.


Anyways, great night, lots o' fun, I thought I may be permanently deaf upon leaving the auditorium, but my hearing has since returned. I will just need to remember to bring ear plugs, next time. :~)

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Isaak looks star struck and of course you look beautiful!