Come on in...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Not the honeymoon phase anymore

We're in real married life now. Have been for a good, almost eleven years. But it made me laugh at just how much married life has changed, not just from the "not in the honeymoon phase anymore"...but to the "not just the two of us anymore."

Isaak came home from work Thursday evening and plopped down on the couch (while I was talking to my mom) and I looked over and he had this look about him.

A look that made me know instinctively to keep my distance.

So from the other couch I hesitatingly ask, "what's wrong?"

To which he replies, "I.think.I'm.sick."

*annoyance immediately sets in*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sick?!

"What do you mean you're sick?" I ask with this incredulous look on my face.

"I have a fever, my neck hurts, back hurts, and shoulders hurt...I think I have West Nile Virus...tell your mom, what does she think?"

*eyes bulge, quietly laugh into the phone*

"We both think you have a cold. You'll live."

As my mom is saying goodbye she tells me to give Isaak a kiss for her, to which I reply...

"I'm not kissin' him. I will wave to him, from across the room, but that's as close as I'm gettin'. If you lived here I'd be sending him to your house so that he doesn't infect the rest of us."

And then I had to stop and laugh, because this is what eleven years of marriage and two kids later looks like.

You get annoyed when your spouse is sick. Not because you lack compassion (to which I may, actually)...but because if they are sick, there's a real good chance that someone else is gonna get sick...because of them. And when I say "someone" else...I mean me. Or the kids. And if it's me...well, it's not like I can just plop down and take a vacation from living for the next two days. I have to be sick. And still be everything else. If it's the kids. Well, don't even get me started. The last two times Marvelly has gotten sick in the summer has resulted in a trip to the ER thanks to seizures. Umm, no thanks.

So when Isaak quietly came up behind me and kissed my head......"AHHHH!!!! Your germ infected kiss is going to get absorbed into my hair and seep into my body! Back away!!" was my eleven years of marriage and two kids later reply.

"Um, no it's not Melissa."

"Well, I'm not takin' any chances. Now go quarantine yourself upstairs."


Here's to keepin' it real!

(especially since Sydaleigh JUST came in, sat on my lap, and told me she farted on me...and then ran off laughing. Nice girl. Real nice. Keepin' it real indeed. Definitely not in that short lived honeymoon phase anymore!)

This one's better though. Even when I'm getting germ infected kisses and being farted on. :~)

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Amen... this is just how I feel too. Almost 10 years here, (in 2 months). Once again you do a great job writting what I think, ha ha!

D'Ache' said...

Yep, I'm always the last one to get it....whatever "it" is.