Come on in...

Friday, August 20, 2010

Good morning God.

I woke up this morning to the quiet distant rumble of thunder outside. I can still hear it, way off in the distance. I love mornings like this. I love thunder and rain and lightning. They awaken my senses. The "outside" does in general, the sun, birds, wind...but there is something quite special about thunder to me. It's the effect of the ever visible lightning.

Lightning first, then the thunder follows.

Lightning can be quite scary. Just the sheer explosive power of lightning. I stand simultaneously in awe and fright as I watch it. Lightning is always powerful. Always. There is no such thing as a weak bolt of lightning. It always pierces the sky with it's blinding light. Even during the day, when the sky has yet to turn black and gray and dark...lightning is still visible. It can pierce through the darkness and the already present light, because it's that powerful.

We simultaneously link lightning and thunder. Can't have one without the other kind of thing.
" The clouds poured down water, the skies resounded with thunder; your arrows flashed back and forth. Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and quake. Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen." Psalm 77:17-19

It's the same thing with God. He is my lightning. He pierces my sky with His blinding light. In my darkness, His lightning breaks in and lets me see, even if just for a moment. Even the blackest of nights can't stay dark when lightning pierces the sky. It will give way to the light. It has to. There is something about light that the darkness can not resist. And then the thunder that follows is just the result of His lightning. The thunder is what happens when God shows up and His light breaks through.

I love mornings like this, when I can wake up to the gentle rumble of thunder... knowing that there is lightning in the sky somewhere producing it. Makes me think of my Lord. And encourages me to reflect on Him.

Good morning God...


"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

1 comment:

Georgia said...

good personal reflection, i liked it. loved the photo, too; love ya