Come on in...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Moments like this

Today we had no plans. So I asked Sydaleigh where she would like to go and she emphatically said the park, meaning the sprinkler park, but since it was too early and too chilly, we compromised on a regular park, just down the street from our house a bit.
We arrive and there are a number of little kids already playing as their 'caregivers' sat chatting on a nearby bench. None looked like parents, as most were older so I'm assuming Grandparents, or babysitters, who knows, just not parents.
We head down the hill and as soon as I set Marvelly's car seat down a little blond girl comes running up to me. And just stands there.
Sydaleigh starts playing and while I watch her this little girl is watching me.
After a minute she she sits down by me and just starts talking, about anything and everything.
Had absolutely no desire to play anymore, just wanted to sit by me and talk.
Whenever I would move to keep my eyes on Sydaleigh, the little girl was right on my heals.
Over the course of the hour that we were there I found out many things about her, as she was very chatty, and clearly thought I was a person suitable to talk to.
But what struck me was the fact that this little girl kept telling me over and over again that her Mommy and Daddy are both at work, and they don't come home until after dinner. And she wished that her Mommy and Daddy would come to the park with her one day.
(there goes my heart)
It made me sad to hear that from a little girl I don't even know.
But in addition to that, whoever brought her to the park, as there were a few ladies and I don't know which one she came with, never looked for her, called for her, or checked on her one time.
How sad.
In one hour, no one.
It's moments like this that make me appreciate my job as a mother so much.
Appreciate the fact that I am blessed in my ability to stay home, all day, and play and love on my girls.
Today brought a very real, vivid insight into a child's heart that shows just how much they yearn for the company and companionship of their parents.
Not only do our children need us, they want us.
Parenting is a responsibility I take very seriously, every day, no exceptions.
It is my heart's desire to wake up every day and leave a legacy of love and commitment with my girls.
I never want to let my children slip through these fingers to wake up one day and find that they are grown, and gone, and I missed it all.
My heart goes out to the children that happens to.

" Soft is the heart of a child, do not harden it"
(-author unknown)

2 comments:

Holly said...

ouch, my heart. and yea! that I get the choice to stay home -

Tera said...

I am already emotional, thanks for the cry. I too have my dream job, and I thank a loving Heavenly Father everyday for a husband who supports us so completely so I can be where I NEED to be. I would hate to miss a moment, I can't imagine missing a day! Childhood is so short and we will know our kids as adults a lot longer then we will know them as little children, I don't want to miss a thing!!