Come on in...

Sunday, August 10, 2008

better luck next time

I was reading a friend's blog about how she is trying to create family traditions that don't have to do with holidays. And it got me thinking about how I want the same. We didn't have a lot of traditions in my family growing up outside of holiday traditions, but a 'few' is better than 'none'. So in my attempt to start one, I stole her idea of pizza and movie night. Everyone helps in the kitchen making pizza for dinner and then we all sit down with our meal and watch a movie. And for the most part it went off pretty good. Sydaleigh had a blast helping me cook, kneading the dough, playing in the flour, making a mess-all of that was a lot of fun. But the tradition pretty much ended there-after the pizza came out of the oven she was no longer interested and didn't want to eat it, said it was yucky ( she actually likes pizza, just a typical two year old thing to say), and we never even made it to the movie part because her friends were outside. So, I'll probably be putting the kibosh on this tradition and keeping my brain peeled for something else we can do.

very proud of her little ball of dough...


and very proud of her little pile of flour

1 comment:

The Toronto Family said...

I'm glad you tired it!!! I'm sure it was just way to much for her age. Really Aaron does not last through it either. Ethan totally does though. And I do my dough in the bread machine to make it go a bit quicker, but they get to roll it and do the topping that is the part they like. Since she loved the cooking part, make that a tradition (if you want) have her in the kitchen with you hands on once a week (or how often you want) either to make a dinner of her choice or something or a treat, you decided. The key I find to traditions are they have to meet your kids interests, my kids LOVE cooking, and being in the kitchen with me and the only time they watch a movie IS movie night (or a baby sitter or friends house) so it makes it special.

Sorry this did not work for you as well as you had hoped, but I'm glad you have not giving up the idea of creating great family traditions!!!!!