Come on in...

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Not your typical bible study

I lead a woman's bible study with some of the greatest gals on the face of the planet. But, we are not your typical bible study kinda group. Not.at.all...because we are not just bible study groupies, who get together once a week, talk God, go home, and never connect. We are friends. Close friends. Friends who connect with each other more than just Tuesday nights from 8:30-10.

And when you get a bunch of women together, who are deep friends, all moms, thinking that going to Borders to sip coffee and talk scripture is a night on the town, wellllll, it can make for one heck of a variety show. I can only imagine what the poor student stuffed into the corner of Borders was thinking when we showed up and invaded her quiet bookstore study time with our not quiet bookstore bible study time.

I swear, only our bible study would go from talking about Adam and Eve and the beauty of the innocence to, "hey that reminds me of an email I read about this naked overweight guy who likes to dance naked in front of the mirror to appreciate his 'package' before he showers." (while doing the 'naked' dance explained in the email covertly in the chair to not garner weird glances)

or, being in thoughtful conversation about Joseph's grace under pressure or Abraham's trust in God to someone blurting out, "hey this story reminds me of this time this weekend that I peed my pants in the driveway! puddle and all!" To everyone else laughing to the point of tears and having to hold in our own pee, which then prompts other pee story tangents.

We do keep on track. For roughly 20 minute increments (well, that may be a bit generous, I'd say 15 minute increments until someone goes off on a tangent and has to be reeled back in.)

But that is the joy and beauty of a group like ours. Intentionally leaving time in our group for the randomness of pee stories. Because we are not your typical bible study group. And without the pee stories, or talks of guys dancin' naked to appreciate their man parts...we would just be your typical run of the mill bible study. And God did not create us to be typical.

*(miss pregnant gets credit for that pee story by the way, because when you're pregnant, peeing your pants till your bladder's empty in the driveway is a completely acceptable thing to do. And laughing back at her till you cry is also just as acceptable with friends like this.)

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Dang, too bad Amy's not pregnant anymore! Now it's totally OBVIOUS who "pees her pants." I do feel sorry for the studious girl with all her text books sitting behind us! I'm glad that we are all blessed enough to get off track with joy and laughter! Life is good:) See you Sat!

Holly said...

I so miss it.
Really bad.
especially RIGHT now.

Unknown said...

I love our bible study! I don't want to ever move, or have anyone move away again (we miss you, Holly!) cause I know I will never find something as good as this group!

P.S. I missed you all on Tuesday, I will need that story repeated, Brooke!

Liz W. said...

I don't think I was supposed to get weepy while reading that....but I did. I just love you girls. Holly, you just don't know how you are missed :-(

D'Ache' said...

I miss those nights and the girls.

Kris said...

It gives me hope to hear when military wives have found that. But I would be lying if I didn't admit that I'm...well, jealous. But, happy for my friend too.