Come on in...

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First day of preschool

And it went great! Whew! I was really expecting her to have a great time, well, I was hoping she would anyways. And she did. Even better than I thought. So good in fact, she didn't even look up from her table to say goodbye to me!


(her cute little school shirt that she was encouraged to wear today, and her special 'Sydaleigh' Cinderella book bag, courtesy of Liz! )

Sydaleigh got a great night's sleep last night so she woke up really refreshed, she went to her "school clothes" drawer and got dressed first thing before heading downstairs to eat. I on the other hand woke up every thirty minutes to an hour, looking at the clock, wondering if it was time yet. :~) I had everything ready to go for the morning though. Bookbag by the door, camera in purse, paperwork ready to pull out and hand to teacher in a very quick like fashion, check made out. I was on top of it!


(her 'book bag' hook, just right for hanging a book bag)

I prayed all the way to school that Sydaleigh would have a great time, be joy filled about starting, encouraged, unafraid, that she would put into use all (or most, or even some!) of what she's learned at home so far these four short years of her life; that the other kids would help her feel welcome and vice versa; that she would be a positive influence on her classmates....ahh, I couldn't stop...this is a big milestone for her (and me!), I just wanted to cover her in mommy prayers as she left to start a portion of her life that doesn't include me.


(skipping the whole way there)

We got there ten minutes early and we're waiting in the hallway outside the classroom for the teachers to open the doors, right off the bat a girl from her class ( she had on a blue t-shirt too indicating Ms. Jennifer's class) came right up to her, and just started jabbering away. Loved it. Little moments like that help ease tension and as soon as they opened the doors a few minutes later...she was off.

I walked her to her table, put her book bag in the bin, signed her in, and when I looked up from writing my name on the paper...she was immersed. Already at the table looking for a paper to color. I stood there for a couple seconds with Marvelly, watching, waiting to see if she'd look up for me...nope. Nada. She didn't. I said goodbye over the sea of other voices, waved my free hand, but, again, she was immersed. I walked to the door and stood there for a few more seconds watching her from a distance, partly wanting her to look up and see me, and wave, the other part of me not wanting her to. And, she didn't. She was immersed. She didn't need me. (to make myself feel better I'm gonna chalk this up to good parenting! :~) )

I was on the verge of crying as I started to walk away, but a friend stopped me in the hallway for a second, and I quickly pulled myself together. The wave of emotion got displaced by small talk. Which I was kind of thankful for. My kids totally messed me up. I never used to be on the verge of crying so much as since I've had kids. Now, for the past four years, it seems I'm always on the verge of tears. And I love it. I love and marvel that God emotionally reconstructed me when I became a mother.

So that was that. Me and Marvi girl went home, had a pleasant time just the two of us playing outside, snacking, building towers. I love that we are getting some one on one time.


(Marvelly builds a mean tower!)

Isaak met us at the school to pick Sydaleigh up so he could be a part of her first day and she was so stoked to see him and all of us. We got bits and pieces of what she did... gym time (kicked and caught balls) story time (something about a frog wearing a necklace), coloring, learning, snack time.

This is gonna be good. I love her school. I'm completely assured in our decision to send her there. It's just right. And Sydaleigh gets to slowly start embracing the world without me 7 1/2 hours a week. Which is just right.

A good first day if I do say so myself. Hoping the rest of the year goes this well!

gosh she's cute.

4 comments:

Georgia said...

GOSH - she sure is cute!!! glad all three of you had such a grand time today. give them all mimi hugs and kisses. love ya!

D'Ache' said...

They are both just too cute!

Jen said...

I can not believe your oldest has started school! Reading your entry made me think of the old days at Faith when we became friends and how sweet those first few years were. I hope she makes some life long friends like we did!!

Unknown said...

I love that you "covered her in Mommy prayers", that is so cute! She looks so grown-up in her cute little skirt and with her bookbag. There is nothing that says "grown-up" like a bookbag!