Come on in...

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The sticker says it all


Today was a historical day for me too-I voted for the very first time.
I couldn't help feeling extremely patriotic standing in line, waiting to cast my ballot, knowing that no matter the outcome tonight, I did my part. I'm exercising a right that people fought so dearly for- before there was ever a 'me'. This is the first time since I've been legally able to vote, that I've actually cared about voting. Not because of the candidates. But because of me. I know who I am now, what I care about, what direction I want to see the country I live in and love take. I know what's important to me. I didn't have a clue at 18. I liked knowing that today I was voting for more than just the next president. I was voting for my states next senator and representatives. People forget that part. They forget there is more on the ballot. In the long run, I care more about who is sitting in Congress than I do who is sitting in the Oval Office.
A president is only part of the equation. But no matter the outcome, I stand by my votes. I did my part and I'm proud of me today and everyone else who did the same.