Come on in...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Minneapolis

I know I've been MIA for a week but here is why...

We decided on Sunday that we were gonna head up to Minneapolis for a few days, seen as how Isaak had through Tuesday off (thanks to Veteran's Day), and we had nothing else going on to keep us home. (we didn't actually decide on Sunday that we were leaving Sunday, we planned this a few more days in advance-we're not that spontaneous).


(Minneapolis, MN)

The drive up was a breeze, it took a little under six hours which is really not bad for a little weekend trip. And I just have to note that gas is crazy cheap right now! It hasn't been this low since our first year in Calirfornia- I was so excited I had to take a picture at the gas station while we filled up (in Iowa we saw it as low as $1.77)



We stayed right across the street from the Mall of America, which was super convenient, but we didn't realize until night fell, and we were lying in bed, that we were also right next to an airport (not so convenient). It was kind of hard to miss with all the planes flying over head all night long. (just for the record, I'm well aware that I live on a Air Force base and we have planes flying everywhere all the time-but for some reason this was much louder and more annoying).
Moving on....

The Mall of America was insane. I have to say that it was actually too big for me, and Isaak. I know, how can a mall be too big! Crazy right? This one was. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely fun for a visit, but I wouldn't be able to handle it if that was the only mall in my area to go to and I had to do all my shopping there. We mosied around there for a bit on Sunday evening, took Sydaleigh on the carousel ride in the amusement park (an actual amusement park in the center of the mall-like I said, the place was just huge), and then we ate dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe. They even have an aquarium inside the mall too, but we figured why waste money paying to see fish when we can eat at the Rain Forest Cafe and look at them for free (watching the fish were free-eating there was definitely not). We spoiled ourselves and got their biggest dessert called The Sparkling Volcano.
$13-and worth every penny!


(bad picture sorry-I actually had to google for a picture b/c I didn't have my camera with me,or so I thought, it turned out it was just stuffed in the bottom of my bag)

We went back on Monday morning right when the mall opened and took Sydaleigh on a bunch more rides. Some kind hearted woman walked right up to us and gave us a free wristband for the day to get on all the rides for free. (the amusement park ain't cheap-so that was really such an unexpected blessing!) And since it was Monday it was completely empty and we didn't have to do any waiting for the rides. Saweeet.

the Nickelodean theme park


Lego land
(dinosaurs actually made out of legos)


carousel and school bus ride....



the train that Sydaleigh rode all by herself....
(we were the only people on all the rides that morning with the
exception of the car one to follow)





ya think it's going to be a nice little kiddie ride-and then all of a sudden they start wippin' you around-we had a ball though....
...and last but not least came the log ride (Isaak's idea -which is why he went down with Sydaleigh)....


getting in,waving from the top

going down
(I was so mad b/c I took the picture a split second too early and I only got the top of the log)
luckily-the ride had a camera and took a picture for me
(only cost $10!)
not sure if that is fear or exhilaration


back at the hotel we swam...


and then watched a movie and ate popcorn in cool popcorn containers

.....stopped to see some historical sites...

The Stone Arch Bridge
(built in 1883, a former railroad bridge and the only stone arch bridge to be built across the Mississippi River)

ruins of the Gold Medal Flour mill

we just happen to stumble upon a national cemetery while we were driving back to the hotel Monday night so we stopped and paid tribute on Tuesday (Veteran's Day) before we left

I've never been to a National Cemetery before, but it was absolutely amazing, the marble stone heads went on forever, as far as the eye could see in every direction, men and woman who served our country in all the wars dating back to WWI

Isaak wanted to find just one soldier who had served in Iraq

....amazingly, in the sea of white he actually found one,
a kid just a few months younger than Isaak...

very humbling, and great way to end our trip.

and then on the way home (on the way to MN too) we drove past all these cool wind turbines. I'd never seen one except in pictures-these too went on as far as the eye could see in places in Iowa-they are massive and really spectacular to look at.
(this was the best picture I could get going 80mph and through the rainy window)
they really are a sight though

The trip was great-it's always nice to come home, but we're gonna try to head back in the summer, when it's warmer, and see a bit more.

1 comment:

Tera said...

Welcome HOME!! Wow that trip looked like a whole lot of fun. I noticed how easily you navigated two kids, you are so ready for #3!!! We are getting more snow, thanks for blowing it our way, we almost ran out! Have an awesome Thanksgiving and please email me your address!!