Come on in...

Friday, June 8, 2012

Thank you Jesus and American Girl!

About two years ago we generously received three free American Girl dolls plus accessories from a gal in Isaak's clinic back in Nebraska.

Her daughters were older and didn't play with them anymore, and she wanted them to go to a good home, so to ours they came.

I sent one doll to my niece and kept the other two for Sydaleigh and Marvelly. Sydaleigh's doll, Kirsten, is one of the first three original historical A.G. dolls created, but was retired a couple years ago. When we got her she was already pretty used, with scratches on her limbs and face, lots of missing hair, no eye lashes on her left eye, and a poor pedicure on her feet. :~)

But Sydaleigh didn't care. She did not care that she was a wee bit banged up and not in the same condition as the dolls at the store. She loved her. I love how both my girls can easily find beauty and worth in less than perfect things. They happily give purpose and find joy in what others discard.

But after two more years of use Kirsten's head was starting to go bald in back. And when we discovered that American Girl Company has a doll hospital, we decided to send her in for repairs.

We got her for free after all. So we thought it was pretty reasonable to spend $39 for a completely new head.

Sydaleigh was not thrilled to part with her beloved doll, but she handled it with grace and new she was going to get fixed up. It was suppose to take a little over 21 days to get her back, and we've been counting down each day since she left....so we were all very surprised to see a mysteriously long doll like box sitting in front of our door when we got home from the commissary this morning.

Sure enough, it was from American Girl, having only taken five days to return to us.
Sydaleigh was over the moon. Just this morning she made her a special bracelet for her to wear when she got back.
We opened the box and she was good as new. New hair. New eye. New head entirely.

I left Sydaleigh to play with her doll and went to look over the invoice and was surprised to see a letter enclosed. I read the letter and was stunned....

"Thank you for sending your doll to the Doll Hospital at American Girl.


Upon examining her, I felt that American Girl was responsible for these repairs. Consequently, we have repaired your doll free of charge."

What?! Are you kidding me?!

As soon as I got done reading that Sydaleigh came back in the kitchen and said, "Mom, look! They fixed her feet too!"

I looked over her doll again, inspecting closer this time, and sure enough, they didn't just replace her head....
they gave us a brand new doll! FOR FREE!!!!!
A completely new American Girl doll! Again, are you kidding me?! I couldn't help myself, I started to cry! Second time we've been blessed with this doll for free. And this time by the company! I mean, what company does that?! Why would they do that?! A brand new doll. For free. They didn't even charge us for shipping. I'm, I'm still just stunned. Grateful beyond belief. Blown away by their generosity. They didn't have to do that. Still can't believe they did. Me and Syd stopped right there, got on our knees, and prayed and thanked Jesus for this blessing. It's truly from Him after all.

All night long me and Isaak keep looking at each other saying, "I can't believe they gave us a new doll. I'm still in awe." 

What a wonderfully unexpected gift this was. 
The girls have been playing with their dolls all day. We are definitely an American Girl doll lovin' family right now. Probably will be for a good long while actually.
Thank you Jesus and American Girl for this incredible blessing! We are thrilled!

5 comments:

Tera said...

I am so happy that you are being blessed more abundantly than you can imagine!! It is amazing how much we are loved! I love the girls with their dolls, it reminded me of another group of girls with theirs. We hope things continue to go well before your big move, so happy we can keep in touch!! Miss You!

Georgia said...

so cool! don't they just love those dolls?? i think you should sand a pic to american girls w/ sydaleigh opening the box and then standing at the foot of the stairs w/ her new doll - both in their white dresses. it will probably make their day the same way they made y'alls. love ya!

Rachael said...

Wow! WAY cool. What company does that?? What a huge blessing!

Liz W. said...

Yeah!! the pics totally capture her excitment, I agree with your mom, you should send in the pictures.

Holly said...

uh...that is awesome!!!