Come on in...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

One weekend down, four more to go

This past weekend I said goodbye to my olive green accent wall. I was sad to see it go, but seen as how housing management didn't allow me to paint it that color to begin with, I don't think they'd be cool if I left it that color under the stipulation that it looks better that way. So, back to beige she went.

 (our helpers)
Flat, boring, beige.
We took Saturday to primer up the wall twice and then slapped on one coat of paint, which covered any inkling of color right up.

Isaak patched and puttied almost all the holes...and gauges....in the house and I started spot painting over them. We finished the kitchen and bathroom and I'll get around to the rest sometime this week.

I also went through seven tubs of kid clothes to either save, straight up throw away, or donate. And I am happy to announce that out of those seven tubs I am only keeping two.

Two. A miracle. Seen as how when I started sorting I needed to talk myself out of hyperventilating every time I picked up a piece of tiny baby clothing because I would be assaulted with memories of who wore it, how old they were, what day of the year it was worn on, and what exactly they were doing while wearing it.

(take those folded red pants on top...Sydaleigh wore those in December of 2006 when she was 11 months old to visit her Grandpa Gary for the first time. And Marvelly wore that red sweater in the fall of 2008 when she as 8 months old. )
 see, right there. there's those red pants. there's that red sweater.....
E.VER.Y piece was filled with memories...even the ones covered in patches of stained poo. (which were some of the funniest memories by the way.) And it was so hard to say goodbye to them. But, I managed to keep the hyperventilating at bay long enough to sort through and part with five tubs worth of clothes. Which, I will say again....is a flippin' miracle....especially for this would be hoarder. Because I keep a lot of crap. I've got hockey memorabilia that I've had since junior high tucked away in my closet. And by hockey memorabilia....I mean "scrapbooks" of newspaper articles that I cut out after every.single game the Red Wings played for four years. Mmm hmmm. Four years worth of newspaper articles.

That's a lot of scrapbooks. And a whole lotta newspaper clippings.

"Would be" hoarder may be too generous for what I am.

So, obviously I have some sort of issues when it comes to parting with sentimental things. But I did! Granted, the give away tubs are still here, and haven't actually gone anywhere yet, but I have said my goodbyes so when they do actually get donated I won't cling to them, and cry.....

So all in all it was a very successful first weekend. We made good progress. And only four more weekends to go before we're assaulted with the big city life.

Now I just have to figure out how to cover up the massive iron burn on the carpet in the master bedroom.....that's gonna be tricky.

3 comments:

Bekah Boo said...

way to go!!!
SO, SO proud of you!
I know this is a 'military' move, but to me, its os much more. Jesus called you to it. You guys are picking up your cross, in the form of ridding yourself of this earth and its memories in clothes, and following Him to the neediest places.
I'm just so proud.
and its ok to cry. its hard work doing what you are.
love you!
and those little naked painters!!! =)

Georgia said...

wait - wait! are you sure you have to give away that sweater??? that pic graced my computer screen at pepper hill for a very long time! people got to know my grandchildren through my screen savers!

D'Ache' said...

Yea, You! Good job, I did the same thing before we left and it's hard, really hard. It's gets easier believe me, at some point you just go take a lot to Goodwill.