Come on in...

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Waiting for God to release the arrow

I was told that our faith is like a bow and arrow.
We're the bow, and God's the archer.

He holds the bow in His hands.
His hands...strong and able.
Perfect precision.

He gathers up the bow in His hands, and then sets the arrow in place.
He aims.
Taking into careful consideration the direction to release.

He begins to pull, and pulls and pulls and pulls.
Stretching the string back further, and further and further.

He feels the resistance now.
The bow is under considerable strain as the string is pulled back another inch at a time.

The string is drawn back so far it feels like it will snap.

The bow softly cries out to the Archer, "stop stretching me, I can't go back any more without breaking."

But He gently keeps bringing back his arm, pulling just a little bit more....because He knows the bow.
Because not only is He the archer, He is also the bower, the creator of the instrument He holds in His hands. 
He crafted it out of the finest wood and string, and He knows just how far he can stretch it.
And He's confident with His hand holding it firmly in His grasp, it won't buckle.

"just a little further...al-most.there" the Archer says... 
"I know this is tight and uncomfortable....
Being stretched always is."

And right when the bow doesn't think it can go back anymore......release.
God lets go, and sets His arrow into motion.


As uncomfortable as the bow was while being stretched to kingdom come....it knew that in order for the arrow to fly and reach it's target...it had to be stretched. There is no other way for the arrow to get there.

I know that God is going to stretch me, a LOT, in order to bring about His plan and purpose for my life. And goodness knows it's not comfortable, and most of the time I don't feel like I can handle it. And in those moments when I start entertaining doubts and giving a foothold to my insecurities... He whispers His sweet encouragement and reassures me of His promise...

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”Joshua 1:9

I am clinging to this truth right now. And waiting for Him to set His plan in motion. 
Waiting for Him to release the arrow.