Come on in...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

An unexpected week

This has certainly been an unexpected week.

Lots of things happening in different directions.

As I type I'm not sure of what the outcomes will be, but I know God does. And I'm making that be good enough for me.

And so, before tomorrow comes, I want to take a moment to lay down some things I've heard/read this past week. Things that the Lord has used to inspire, assure, and reflect on as we wait.

"Don't settle for convenient."


"Fear is not of God."


"This didn't take God by surprise."


"In Your presence I'm made whole."


"that's doable."


"...in ten more days...."


"A___, a ____, get me a pen!!"


Revelations 3:7

"Partial obedience is disobedience to God."


"be willing."

"If I call you to it, I'll see you through it."


"He loves me anyway."


"You are God, of all else I'm letting go.."


"You are Peace, when my fear is crippling."


"His peace defies understanding, logic, and worldly explanations."

"perfect and healthy are illusions."

A butterfly flew into our backyard last summer and came to rest on the gigantic sunflowers we had growing back there. I had my camera handy, picked it up, and started taking her picture.

I probably took her picture, watching her flutter around on the flower for twenty minutes. I'd get too close, and she'd fly away for a minute then return.

I'd invade her personal space again...she'd fly away, then come back and nestle back down onto the flower. 

Butterflies are truly beautiful creatures. Fascinating little things. They start out in life as a catterpillar. They squirm through life on their belly's, wingless, ordinary, a little less ugly than a worm. But then nothing less than a miracle happens and they completely transform. They go from ordinary to extraordinary. They are no longer limited to life squirming around on their belly....now, they can fly. Their beautifully unique wings can take them anywhere. Truly, nothing less than a miracle....to start out in life one way, and then be transformed to something new.

I continued to watch her. Fascinated by the beauty and grace of this little creature. Such a wonderful little gift...to have wings. Beautiful wings no less. And not only are they beautiful, but the underneath is patterned after a leaf. So, that from the air, when looking up into the sky, they are camouflaged to look like a leaf. Brilliant. Made with such design, purpose, and creativity.

But, I had a limited view of my little winged friend. I followed her carefully around that sunflower, taking in all the little aspects of her design, fascinated with her creation, and Creator. But, again, I had a limited view. Always following her from roughly the same angle. And it wasn't until I completely changed my perspective......


that I realized she was broken. Not perfect after all. Her original design was off, less than what it was suppose to be. She was no doubt created with two wings intact, but once she came out of her chrysalis...and entered the world that awaited her...she encountered brokenness around her, and she inevitability fell subject to that brokenness.

But, as I watched her from my new perspective, her life became even more beautiful and fascinating. No, she wasn't perfect. Her wings were broken and flawed, BUT, but but but...she could still fly. I watched her...broken wing and all...flutter off that flower and fly in the breeze of the morning. Off to explore different parts. Not letting her broken wing stop her from moving forward, and flying onward.

I am without a doubt this broken butterfly.

I started out in life as something much different. And through the grace and love of Jesus He transformed me into something new. But, I'm still broken. I'm still less than His original design for me. I'm flawed and imperfect. But despite my brokenness and imperfection He calls me to spread my wings and fly. Because regardless of how broken I may be, or how much the world beats me down...He still created me to fly. And it's because of Jesus I can. He gave me my wings. And He doesn't want me to waste my life sitting on the sunflower. Yes it pretty, and I'm fed, and safe...but it's limited. It's comfortable. Easy. And if God says I can still fly even though my wings are all busted up...then by golly, I've got to try.

Even though...
"I am the thorn in Your crown
I am the sweat from Your brow,
I am the nail in Your wrist,
I am Judas’ kiss,

I am the man that called out from the crowd
For Your blood to be spilled on this earth shaking ground,
Yes then, I turned away with this smile on my face
When this sin in my heart tried to bury Your grace,"


when my brokenness makes me undeserving of your goodness and gifts....you love me anyways. And You encourage me anyways. And You insist, anyways.


"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

My hope is in the Lord. No matter the outcomes of this life, my hope is in the Lord. I will soar on wings like an eagle. I will run and not grow weary. I will walk and not be faint. The Lord renews my strength.

No matter what tomorrow holds....my hope is in the Lord. If He insists I fly regardless of the circumstances of this life....then off the sunflower I go. Imperfect wings and all. 

2 comments:

Holly said...

what a beautiful story is being written in the confusion of your heart - His stories always do that, don't they!?

Kelly said...

Here is another good one:
"As faith increases, our control weakens." Since I am a control freak, I need to remind myself this often :)