Come on in...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dr. apt. #1 for my thyroid

Went to see my doctor yesterday afternoon for my thyroid. There wasn't a whole lot he could do, or really tell me at this appointment since he doesn't specialize in dealing with thyroids.

But, it was still productive.....
-he put in a referral for me to be seen with an endocrinologist, which is what I was praying for.

-he also put in an order for me to have an ultrasound of my thyroid, which I'll be having done tomorrow afternoon. He said the ultrasound will help show how large my thyroid is, if there's any masses, and whatever else they look for. Praying for a normal looking thyroid, and, no masses, obviously.

-he also wrote e a prescription for beta blockers to reduce my heart rate until I can be seen by my endo and start on some treatment. I've yet to take the beta blockers, much to Isaak's dismay, he doesn't understand why I just won't take the medicine if it will help me feel better. And quite frankly, neither do I?! But I'm nervous to be on medicine that's sole purpose is to affect my heart from beating. And until I have clear direction and peace from the Lord I can't get myself to take them. So, praying for the Lord's guidance and peace with this medicine.

-need to make sure I'm getting plenty of calcium b/c having hyperthyroidism makes your bones weak and susceptible to osteoporosis.

-but good news is the doctor told me he's not concerned about my heart being damaged from the prolonged untreated tachycardia. He said typically heart rates at 130bpm don't usually cause damage, it's just really uncomfortable. So, another answered prayer as I was worried about the strain this was having on my heart. Praying he knows what he's talking about! Believing that he does!

So, this was step one. Next up is my ultrasound tomorrow.

Praying the Lord's peace would continue to rule my heart.

4 comments:

Liz W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz W. said...

Claire's been taking beta blockers since her heart surgery @ 3 months....start taking you meds woman!!! It'll do more good than harm.

Georgia said...

me too! love ya

D'Ache' said...

You are only taking them till you are put on medication for your thyroid. They aren't bad. Yeah- step 1 down now onto step 2.