Come on in...

Monday, March 7, 2011

Mamma Mia, here we go again!

We have been waiting for this night for practically a year. Months and months and months ago Liz snatched up ten tickets to Mamma Mia at the Orpheum and last night was the.night. So off we went with ten of us in tow, and we had a ball!
at Beccy's before the show

First we headed over to Hiro 88 for dinner before the show. And as usual, we really know how to empty some plates, let me tell ya! So good, perfect atmosphere, delicious food. It was the perfect place to start off the night.

We ended up leaving the restaurant, late, and had to make a mad dash to the theater. Seriously, a mad dash, our car load was running down the street, in heels, in an attempt not to miss even one minute. We got there with minutes to spare. Fashionably right on time. :~)


All through the performance I was assaulted with memories of polyester, big hair, and bright blue eye shadow, recalling the last time I went to pay tribute to Mamma Mia and Abba via Bjorn Again at Papillion's amphitheater. It was a wild night then, full of dancing and laughing and crazy looks from strangers who would never be caught dead wearing 70's attire in the 21st century. So glad I have friends who don't care about that kind of stuff. :~) And so glad I had another memorable night celebrating some Abba love with new friends this time.

Last night was a little more tame, due to the fact that it was in a theater, and a play was technically going on, but it was just as fun. After the final act the cast came out and bowed, and then the whole ensemble assembled on stage to treat the audience to three songs- Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, and Waterloo. There wasn't a non-sequined material on them! Head to toe in fabulous 70's pantsuits! Even the dudes. :) My only regret was that we didn't have aisle seats, so I was trapped in the middle of my row, unable to venture out to the freedom the aisle held to dance without restrain. Next time I'm sittin' on the aisle. But other than having to restrain these dancin' feet...it was flippin GREAT!!!



I'm surprised to say that I actually loved the play a hundred times more than I loved the movie. It really was so.much.better. All of the characters were spot on. The singing was superb, the dancing, the jokes, facial expressions, the quick little interactions between characters... all of it complimented every element of the story.

And hands down the star of the show was Donna. Her voice was IN-sane. And the pinnacle of her performance came during the scene that she sings Winner Takes It All. That scene where she serenades Sam was so moving and powerful I wanted to cry. Meryl Streep had nothin' on this chic! She brought that song to life with her gut wrenching rendition and made that probably my favorite part of the show. Well, it was probably tied with Money Money Money. The whole cast participated during this scene where Donna performed that number. Oh my gosh, it was so good. I loved that whole choreographed dance number, their movement on the stage, their interaction with Donna, ahhh, so good! So so good.

Sofie's best was What's the Name of the Game. Which I was not expecting but I love that the play performs more songs than the movie. There were five more songs included in the play than the movie. Dude, cha ching!! I want to go see it again and again and again!!

Ahhh, such a good night. Loved every minute of it. Had so much fun with these ladies!

3 comments:

Liz W. said...

Spot on review!! I got teary eyed during "Winner takes it all" Donna was incredible!

But I know that surrounded by my besties, made it that much better~!

Holly said...

you were NOT surrounded Liz...maybe on some of your sides but my side was empty!
;-)

dang it.
SO wish I could have been there -
I don't like seeing new people in these pictures - who do they think they are!? ;-)

I tease...kinda.

so glad it was a great night.

melissa - your shoes and hair are fabulous!
beccy - ooooo la la, you look skinny and those boots!? wow!
Liz - girl, you are just hot (you look skinny too and I don't think it's just the pictures, you really do)
love the shirt and the jacket!
Brandi - cute jeans!!!! cute hair!!!!

ah....

Brandi Vidal said...

Liz, I was teary then too...
It was so stinking good.

Holly,
even though I was not there last year when you went...I so missed you with us.