Come on in...

Friday, February 21, 2014

My friend Kate

The day finally came. My dear friend Kate moved to Mali on Tuesday. And it was a sad day here in her absence. 
(Kate, me, Rebecca)

I have only known Kate a few short months, maybe six or so, but in that time she has become so incredibly dear to me. I'm talking beaucoup beaucoup! A dear dear friend. Some people you just click with right away, and she was one of those people.
When I met Kate back in August we hit it off instantly. I remember she came over to my house with some other friends and we just sat and talked the evening away. And pretty much from that night on Kate was a steady presence in our life right up until she left this week.

Kate was only here in Burkina for nine months doing language study before she moved onto Mali. But despite the fact that she was only here for a short time, she lived like she was here long term. She got connected in the community right away. She didn't hesitate making friends and engaging with people, and being the military spouse that I am...I appreciate that so much.

It's hard moving some place new and knowing you aren't going to be there long term. It's hard starting over one place, just to pack up and start over again before you ever felt like you had a chance to put down any roots. It's not always easy being vulnerable with new people and opening up just to say goodbye way too soon. But one thing our life with the military has taught me personally over these last 13 years....is that you can't live that way. You have to put down roots, even if they don't have a chance to grow down very deep. You have to put yourself out there and connect with people. Because one of those people could be a Kate. Someone that profoundly impacts your life in such a short time.

And Kate lived that way too. And I admired that quality in her very much.
(worse picture ever! Ha! I love it. It was pitch black and the flash blinded us!)
We spent a lot of time together these past few months. We shared adventures and regular ordinary days.
(a dog had just finished chewing on Sydaleigh's shirt in this picture!)

Of course the girls fell in love with her. They were smitten. I'm talking, they were deeply saddened and affected when she left because they grew so use to her company and enjoyed her so much.

We shared many highs and lows over these past few months. But one thing is for sure, we packed in a lot memories...our trip to Banfora, burying her cat in our backyard, shopping for Christmas decorations, playing 7 Wonders all night, her involvement in the youth with Isaak and Seth and Rebecca, my birthday surprise, Thanksgiving, our Downton Abbey marathon, all the weekends spent eating pizza and hanging out..and of course, our walks.

Pretty conveniently she lived just down the street from me about ten minutes or so. So we started meeting halfway and walking together during the week, on Tuesday and Thursdays for one to two hours each morning. Many days living here can be an emotional roller coaster and as we would walk the dusty streets we would talk about Jesus and life and dreams and French and traveling and absolutely everything and nothing. We would share our burdens and struggles and hopes. She was someone that I could talk to for hours, and there was always something to talk about.

I will surely miss our walks and talks together.
The weekend before she left, during the crazy softball weekend, we had a little goodbye get together for her over at our house on Saturday.
Then the next night we had another going away get together for her at Kathy's house filled with a time of prayer and encouragement.
To say that I am going to miss this gal is the understatement of the century! She made my life even richer these past six months. Kate has such a joyful personality and a refreshing outlook and approach on life. She loved Jesus passionately and her faith was always such an encouragement and inspiration to me. I love her so much and I know a long line of people who share that sentiment! So blessed to call her friend and thankful for the time we had together!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

oh! wish i could have met her! missed he by only a few weeks