Come on in...

Monday, February 3, 2014

My cooking saga continued....gluten free.

We had a bunch of people over on Saturday for dinner and game night and it was decided, by me (whoops, regretting that now) that we should make homemade pizzas for dinner.

So, a couple of us volunteered to make the pizzas (I would also be one of those someones) while others offered to bring toppings, and extras.

Except, come Saturday afternoon it occurred to me that I didn't have enough flour on hand to make pizzas, and there was not enough time to go to the store and buy more and then freeze and sift it to kill and extract all the worms that would inevitably be inside.

So, "lucky for me," I thought, I had some extra flour on hand that a friend passed on to me before she moved. The only thing was....

it was gluten free flour.

Not being a person that has issues with gluten (and thank God for that might I add), I've never had a need to cook with any special gluten free ingredients.

But, with that being all I had on hand, I figured now would be a good time to give it a try, not thinking it would be any different than regular ole flour. And even if it was a little different, "no big deal," I thought, it was being made into a pizza and there would be plenty of toppings to mask any differences.

Yeaahhh.....this is one of those times that I freely admit that I was wrong, and that doesn't happen a lot due to the "Know It All" trait I inherited against my will.

But let me just set the record straight....that junk was dis. gus. ting.

I'm talking....I had to restrain myself from scraping my tongue clean to get that crap off of it.

How people can stand to eat that is beyond me. That stuff is not normal. Nor does it even closely resemble what dough is suppose to look like. And I know dough, okay. I am a huge baker, and good at it too. And any dough that has the look, texture and taste of play doh...well, that junk is better suited for the dogs or the garbage can.

I honestly think that people with gluten issues (or people who just like to be trendy and jump on every lovin' food bandwagon there is) have not eaten real food in so long they've forgotten what it's suppose to taste like.

Pizza is not suppose to taste like that. It was so bad, no amount of cheese or spices or sauce or toppings could mask what was wrong with that crust. I actually think that the gluten free crust somehow absorbed all that was good with the pizza and sucked it into the black whole that was the horribleness of that dough. Bleh.

That was Saturday. And then came tonight, when I didn't feel like making something new for dinner and there just happened to be an entire gluten free pizza left over (because it was nasty and no one wanted to touch it to their tongue with a ten foot pole) and somehow in my warped thinking I somehow convinced myself that it would probably be better the second time after I reheated it again in the oven.

It wasn't. As a matter of fact, I think that made it worse, which I never would have thought was possible.

Like I said, I had to restrain myself from scraping my tongue clean. Unfortunately the girls were sitting across from me and Sydaleigh was like, totally downing hers, (whaaaat???) so I couldn't make any faces or spit my food out, because she'd wonder what the heck my problem was and it would alert her to the fact that what she was eating was totally horrible, when right now she for some reason thought it was really good. I'm thinkin' her taste buds must have boycotted knowing what they were about to be subjected to and retreated to save her the trauma of knowing she was eating something that should be outlawed.

I'm thinking now that there may have been a reason my friend passed on all those bags of gluten free flour to me. Because that junk is nasty.

Between my lasagna problems and my gluten free garbage pizzas.....I should probably stay out of the kitchen for a while. I'm not having the best luck with cooking lately.

Where the heck is a flippin' McDonald's when a girl needs one?!

2 comments:

Georgia said...

ghana

Rachael said...

LOL. I have a lot of friends who have celiac, so I've done some baking GF. Yeah, it takes work to get it right! Totally different measurements, techqnique and binding agents. I doubt you'd have access to what you'd need over there to make it semi "normal" in taste and texture. Bread is definitely the hardest though, and you can't really replicate the chewy texture very well for things like pizza, etc. I've been told there are some actual decent subs, but all those have been loaded with egg, so I've never been able to try to tell. I'm definitely extra thankful for my non-wormy flour right now. . .