Come on in...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Swimming in the rain.

I believe that life is filled with subtle moments, moments that seem small all by themselves, but added up over a lifetime equate to the most beloved and beautiful memories. 

These moments come by quietly. It is easy to overlook them because they carry the appearance of ordinary. But they hold magic. A spark of something greater.

If you can learn to look and see what could be.

When the quiet whisperings of that subtle moment present themselves...you must be willing to drop everything. To run away from the dinner you were cooking. The clothes you were folding. The crafts you were making. The bathtub you were filling. The bedtime story you were reading. The school work you were studying.

You must be willing to let it all go. To stop. To turn. To run. To leave it all behind and jump into that moment head on. And live in it until it passes.

Last evening a seemingly ordinary moment presented itself unexpectedly. All of a sudden it started to rain. I was in the kitchen making dinner. Isaak had just come home from work. And from the living room I hear the girls start whooping and hollering that it is raining outside. I leave the kitchen and see them huddled up to the big windows, pressed between the curtains, faces pushed up against the glass...admiring the rain.

There's the moment. We could have stayed inside, huddled against the windows and watched the rain beat down. We could have lived in the ordinariness and splintered off to go back to what we were doing.

But I saw the spark of something greater. I chose to see what could be. And I decided to jump into that moment head on, dropping everything, to live in this moment....

All at once I start shouting and swinging my arms in excitement and I hollered to the girls to follow me outside into the rain. Their little feet came stammering after me, racing to catch up. We fly over the patio and burst through the screen door. As we move over the steps and the side walk I tell them they can jump into the pool and go swimming in the rain if they want. Of course they want. They shed their clothes by the pool without a second thought and leap into the water with the rain crashing down.

Letting it all go. Leaping into that moment arms stretched wide.
They jumped and played  and splashed and giggled and stuck their tongues high to the sky to catch the water. And they stayed in that pool until every last drop of rain had been poured out over them.

These are the moments. The spontaneous moments that will add up over the course of their childhood and create the most beloved and beautiful memories. The moments that I look for. The moments that I am willing to drop everything to live in. The moments that carry the spark of something greater. The moments that whisper to me they carry something more....

2 comments:

Georgia said...

love it! yep - every family should have those moments. do you remember playing in the rain on the circle sidewalk? and the sad thing - marvelly's left foot is a little girl foot; her right foot, pointed up, is a big girl foot. she is such a big girl now! how i miss them both!!!!!! love ya!

Holly said...

love it - I live for those moments with my kiddos too!
they will remember that forever!