Come on in...

Monday, May 27, 2013

I surprised him for his 31st!

Isaak likes parties. A lot. So this year for his birthday me and Nathanja planned a double birthday surprise celebration for him and Nicole who happened to be turning 30 the week after Isaak turned 31. Not that we all ever need a reason to get together, but at least this time we had a reason to dress up.

It turned out to be one of the funnest and silliest parties e-ver.

Because the theme of the birthday was "Over the Hill" and everyone invited was encouraged to dress up as old geezers. And our friends did not disappoint!

Somehow me and Nathanja managed to secretly plan, covertly invite people, make all kinds of arrangements without either Isaak or Nicole being the wiser. They were absolutely stunned, I mean Isaak was just blown away, when we showed up at the restaurant to all their friends dressed as old people to wish them a happy birthday!
Nathanja even managed to dig up a wheel chair and walker!
I'm the only lame one who didn't dress up. There was no way I could dress up as an old lady and drive with Isaak to the party and not have him wondering what the heck I was up to. So I brought along a scarf and wrapped it round my head like my grandma used to do, except in the end I really just look like I was wearing a scarf on my head. :)
Rhyan, Nicole's husband, was smart and brought clothes along with him to dress into once he got to the restaurant with Nicole. Even more hilarious than his killer denim vest and high water pleated khakis was that he brought along a hair trimmer to buzz off the whole middle of his head! Even more hilarious is that the bathroom where he hoped to buzz is hair had no outlets...so he came out front, where we were all pictured and asked the gal behind the bar if there was an outlet close by he could use. She motioned over to a wall near some tables where people were eating. He told her it was to shave his head, and she just waved him away like it was no big deal. So there he was, in the corner of a really nice restaurant, shaving his head while people were eating! A waiter came up to him as he was doing it and stopped to stare and as Nathanja bent down to pick up the hair in her hands because there was no broom and dustpan, the waiter, looking somewhat horrified, just told her to leave the hair on the floor! So they did! He shaved his head and left all his hair in a big old pile on the floor in the restaurant! Bah ha ha! I love Burkina! It's so weird! You can do the craziest stuff and nobody cares because everyone has seen crazier!
So awesome and ridiculous! Oh my gosh, I just die laughing when I look at this picture! My friends here are so cool even when they look so old and dorky!
After dinner we headed back to Fred and Nathanja's for dessert and further celebration. And now I must give a shout out to Nathanja, because her and Fred were sick for the party and the days leading up to it. With Typhoid. And they still got dressed up and came to the party. I seriously have the most awesome friends. Friends who will decorate their homes and make cakes and dress up and go out to dinner all to celebrate friendships while they are feverishly sick with typhoid. Unfortunately, she did end up in the hospital two days later, which sucked, but she'll still tell you it was worth it! Now that is hard core!
(Nathanja, Nicole, me)
My not so over the hill husband and my lovely friend! To an incredibly hilarious memory filled celebration in their honor! Happy birthday!


2 comments:

Georgia said...

very hilarious!!! i am glad isaak likes parties. david hates them! i threw him a 40th one anyway and he was mortified! hahahaa!!!!1 still worth laughing over. love ya!!

Bekah Boo said...

love this!!