Come on in...

Thursday, May 17, 2012

That was a colorful morning

I could start off by being all sarcastic and saying how "fun" that was....by holy.freakin'.aye....that was down right horrible.

HORRIBLE!!

I took the girls to go get their yellow fever vaccinations this morning. The last in a long line of vaccines needed to go to Africa. We prepped them this morning. Making sure to tell them that they were only getting one this time, instead of the four and six they had a few weeks ago.

We thought that we were being really good parents and that telling them beforehand would help ease they anxiety about getting the shot....knowing that it was only one. Ya know, trying to play up the positive to help downplay that fact that they were getting stick'd.

Yeah, right. That didn't go exactly as I envisioned in my head. And by exactly....I mean, not.at.all. Somehow I convinced myself that after getting four and six shots at once my kids would be a pro at this. I mean, one shot, meh, that's nothing! What's one measily shot? Come on?! We got this!

Uhhh.....apparently that awesome pep talk was only awesome and peppy to me.

Unfortunately my kids aren't so easily duped.

When it came time for our shots... I knew were were doomed when I had to go first, and had to get five. That was five times that they had to stand there...watching....every.single.needle penetrate my arm.

Gawsh. That didn't exactly help with the anxiety I was trying to keep at bay.

I tried to keep them calm and laugh through it all....but I could see the fear. I could see it. Eyes wide. Growing wider with each jab of the needle.

Marvelly was next and of course she cried at her turn, but, she's four, and small, and I can hold her down still pretty easily. It was over before she could officially decide to hate me forever.

Sydaleigh on the other hand. Yeah. That girl is gettin' big. And fast. And when it came time for her shot....I could quickly see her calculating, "what am I gonna do? what am I gonna do??"

And then all of a sudden she entered that "fight or flight" response. She first decided to take flight and tried to escape by holding herself up in a corner, but when she saw she had nowhere to go and I was comin' for her....she quickly turned to fight mode.

Lets just say it took all the strength just to get her on that table...and then it took all the strength I had just to keep her on that table. And then it took all the strength I had not to crack a smile, or cry, ( it was a crazy moment, I didn't know how to respond) when she started screaming.....

"LET GO OF ME! YOU ARE SO MEAN! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!  LET ME GO!! DON'T YOU STICK ME! YOU ARE SO MEAN!!"

Oh my gosh. I.was.mortified. She was so dang loud you could in all likelihood hear her upstairs in the dental clinic. I had to apologize to the parents in the waiting room as we left for freaking out their kids, who were now bug eyed or crying because it sounded like Sydaleigh was being tortured from back there!

All of that and it's not even Friday. What a morning.

I will say though....that yes, my girl may be prone to dramatics...but if she was being graded on a scale from 1-10 on how awesome you can freak out over a shot...my girl woulda totally beat out everyone else!! I mean, that was like, a 12. For reals. It was impressive. Completely mortifying, yes. But impressive. 

If I hadn't been so horrified I would of been proud.

5 comments:

D'Ache' said...

Well at least no one passed out. :-)

Bekah Boo said...

i just about laughed so hard I peed.
:~) LOVE it!!!

Yellow fever hurts too! Dang! And don't lose those stupid yellow cards, because I KNOW from experience it'll cost ya! :)

poor girls. You guys are like getting stuck for everything :(
already our africa experiences look so different. lol !

and LOVE those girls! You're the one who's been teaching them to pretend and make believe and be dramatic. This is why we're such great friends :)oh man, LOVE LOVE LOVE Syd! and I cry too in the crazy. and laugh. uncontrollably. like I was possessed by something form another planet....

Georgia said...

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA! i can see sydaleigh now. and poor marvelly! hope you got them ice cream or something when it was all over. if you didn't we'll have to make up for it here.

love ya!!

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachael said...

Wow. . .that is a LOT of vaccinations. Holy smokes!

I sympathize though, I did the exact same thing as Sydaleigh for my 6 yr vaccinations. And managed to kick the nurse soundly in the stomach in the process : P