Come on in...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mount Vernon

Today we visited Mount Vernon....home of our very first president Mr. George Washington. It was one of the most splendid places I have visited since moving to D.C. I already want to go back...at least twenty more times before we leave here. Even with the swarms of school kids...it was peaceful. There's just something so very special about this place that just beckons you to come, and stroll, and breathe deeply.
The home was magnificent and grand. But I don't need a home this big someday. I wouldn't mind, however; having all that land. Oh, to just walk and dream and explore and work...and just be, on your own special land, would be very nice. 

(no, all those people up by the house in the picture with the girls didn't spontaneously vaporize when I went to take the above picture. I had to personally vaporize 52 people to clear them from my peaceful shot of the mansion. They were ruining the mood of my tranquil, chaos free environment. :~) )
A view of the Potomac from George's back veranda. Yeah, I could pretty much never move from this spot and be okay. A rocking chair and the water. That's my kind of livin'.
The girls busied themselves with their favorite Panter friends and frolicked down George's back lawn...sliding down the steep hill on their bee-hinds and getting covered in dirt.
They chased farm animals and watched them be.
They enjoyed themselves greatly. To be able to run and play and scream and chase animals makes for happy girls.
 
My content kind of smile exactly Nora.   
The estate not only has a wide expanse of grounds, but has a fantastic museum with an awesome children's area, complete with 18th century clothing, baby dolls, a doll house of Mount Vernon with furnishings and dolls, and books and coloring, and just, a lot.                 
Sydaleigh and Marvelly in the 1700's. They'd totally fit right in. :~)
Our little group all dressed up. We've got some dainty little ladies and some pretty darling strapping young soldiers.

Ah. It was fantastic. We had a blast. I loved that place. I really have got to get back before we leave because in addition to all the grounds we didn't even cover today...they have a National Treasure 2 tour happening in the basement of the mansion. Gah! National Treasure is one (one of fifty, but still one of them) my favorite movies EVER!! Must.go.back!!


1 comment:

Bekah Boo said...

"one of 50" hahahahha YES! ANother reason we're besties, we both have like a million FAVORITES!!!
and so stinkin cute! I love your girls and the Panter girls. adorable!!