Come on in...

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flashback to 1986

It was the year Top Gun came out in theaters.
Take My Breath Away and Papa Don't Preach were topping the music charts.
Family Ties, Who's The Boss?, Cheers and Growing Pains were popular prime time television.
Reagan was President.
Space Shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after takeoff.
The worst ever nuclear disaster occurs at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in the Soviet Union.
The first laptop computer was unveiled.
Gas was a whopping $ .89 a gallon.
Spandex, scrunchies, "winged" hair, sky high bangs, stir-up pants, leg warmers, and shoulder pads were all the rage.
and it was the year I turned five years old and got my very first Barbie doll and doll house.

My Grandpa built every inch of that house with his own hands. And my Grandma fashioned it with furniture in every room, custom made little rugs, and curtains over the windows. It was the most spectacular thing I had ever seen. Every year for my birthday there after my Grandma would make me hand crocheted gowns and dresses, hats and shirts for all my dolls. After a few years I had acquired quite an impressive wardrobe for my Barbies. This was my absolute favorite thing to play with during my childhood. I was a Barbie girl through and through.

But after my parents divorced there was only so much room in the moving truck for our journey down to Georgia. So my beloved doll house stayed behind, tucked safely away in my grandparents house. And a large number of my Barbies, furniture and clothes were stored in my Aunt Patrice's attic. Bless them for holding onto it all.
My last trip to Michigan I was surprised yet again to see that my Grandpa, all these years later, had done some remodeling to my old house, shingling the roof and painting the exterior. I was able to bring my old house home three years ago, content, and happy to one day be able to pass it down to my girls. Never did I think I'd see the rest of it all again.

Until....my brother, Jordan, made a trip up to Michigan last month. He was visiting my Aunt Patrice when she mentioned she still had a box in her attic with all my old dolls in it. He got it down and brought it over to my dads where he express shipped it home to me.

Truly, there are really no words, to see something, and touch something again that was such a
prominent part of my childhood.
And now to see a new generation delighting in them the way I once did.
opening it up upon arrival! Sydaleigh said it was like Christmas, and I couldn't agree more. 
Marvelly insisted with her little finger pointing right at me that I needed to call Grandpa Gary and say thank you. And I couldn't agree more.

The girls wasted no time setting things up. 
They made a little "movie theater" on the table and all the dolls were invited.
Almost all of the furniture was still there. Along with nearly all the clothes my Grandma made me over the years. And, tucked away between it all, was my very first Barbie doll, Skipper, that I got on that blessed birthday 25 years ago.

This is such a treasure to have these again.
Because these dolls are not just dolls.
They are so much more.
They hold memories of time spent with countless numbers of friends and cousins.
They represent hours and hours of labor and love my Grandma poured into making those clothes.
 They are quiet moments in my room, sitting on my dark green carpet, surrounded by my most faithful plastic friends. We did everything together.... trips to McDonald's, long drives in the t-top convertible,  weddings, concerts, weekend trips to the beach, dinner parties...my imagination took us everywhere.

And it has been quite fun getting reacquainted. Sorting through all the bags of clothes was hilarious...
We had some serious 80's fashion goin' on! Barbie on the right is even sporting stir-up pants! Oh-yeah!
And now for a classier look, with these ladies decked out in a sampling of the clothes my grandma made. Every dress was different. She never replicated a look. She had quite the creative touch and made each piece with perfection. And her craftsmanship is the utmost quality. Not a stitch, button or ribbon has come undone. Now that's some quality work.

And to have it all back again...well, there's not really words good enough to describe how it feels...just the stirrings of old familiar smells and memories from deep within that words don't really do justice for.
I am blessed. And I am so deeply thankful...


(I just better not see Sydaleigh and Marvelly pulling inspiration from these gals and trying to leave the house in a bodysuit, mini skirt, fishnet tights, leg warmers, tie died jacket and blue eyeshadow.) :~)

6 comments:

Holly said...

oh my gosh...I LOVE the crochet clothes ;-)
and the side by side of you then and now ;-)
adorable!!!!

D'Ache' said...

Aaawwwww! I had that Skipper too. I was in love with her hair. But that 80's fashion is back in style leg warmers and all.

Georgia said...

gosh darn - you and sydaleigh look just alike - amazing!!! cause she looks so much like isaak! but when i first looked at you with the doll house (in your striped shirt), i thought it was sydaleigh at your house. WOW! marvelly looks do pretty! what beautiful girls - glad all 3 of you are enjoying the treasure! love ya - mom

Brooke said...

I'm so jealous! Can I come play???

Georgia said...

p.s. - love the amy winehouse-hair doll in the middle!

Beccy said...

Wow! What a treasure to have returned to you!!! That is some serious Barbie action!