Come on in...

Monday, July 19, 2010

Our sunflowers

When we were planning out our garden in the spring, after a long and brutal winter, Isaak said he wanted to plant some sunflowers. He said they would be easy to grow, not require high maintenance, and add some height and extra dimension to the bulbs already planted.

I do not know squat about flowers. I can identify a rose, a sunflower, and those weedy dandelions, and that's about as far as my knowledge goes. You'd think after growing up with a mom who planted an extensive garden every year, and "encouraged" us to work in it with her, I'd know more than I do...but I don't. So, anyways, when Isaak said low maintenance I was on board.

When it comes to me and flowers, the more low maintenance the better. :)

So, we prep the dirt, buy the seeds, (and this is rather embarrassing to admit, sometimes I amaze myself at my own ignorance)...but I was literally stunned to see that the sun flower seeds that Isaak threw down into the dirt, the same sunflower seeds that my husband sucks on in the car and spits out into any container he can find, the same sunflower seeds that get spilled all over the car when he forgets to throw the remnants away, the sunflower seeds that drive me crazy....are indeed the same sunflower seeds that produce sunflowers. Who.freakin'.knew?!



Low maintenance was an understatement. These beauties took no time at all to grow taller than Isaak.



I was beginning to wonder if they would ever bloom an actual flower. It took a couple months, but they've finally started opening up to the world.

Aren't sunflowers grand? They are so cheerful, and pleasant. I love that they are in my yard to enjoy.

No comments: