Come on in...

Friday, July 16, 2010

My first batch of bread

(added the recipe link at the bottom of the post....)

I have been looking for a bread recipe for a while now....wanting to start making my own, as opposed to buying expensive loaves that don't taste nearly as good as homemade.

I want regular white bread. Nothing fancy. Just a simple white bread that I can use for sandwiches.

I bought all the basic ingredients a while ago...months actually ....and it's all just been sitting around my cupboards, waiting to be used because I haven't been able to find a recipe worth trying.

I don't have a bread machine.

Yet, most of the recipes I kept finding called for one.

Or, the recipes would call for bread flour.

What is bread flour, and how is it different from, oh, regular flour?

I was in the doctor's office last week and was reading Martha while I waited and inside just happened to be four bread recipes. One of them for white bread. Now, I'm no Martha food maker. I don't ever attempt to make anything from her because I am not a fancy cook or baker, and she typically calls to use things in her recipe that I've literally never even heard of. I like to keep it simple. I don't have time to invest hours in the kitchen for dinner. The girls would have my head. And then they wouldn't eat the food. :~)

I was hesitant to even bother looking at the recipe, sure that it would call for something ridiculous like organic flour, or honey made from only the finest bees, or sugar from the tropics of Southeast Asia.

But, it was surprisingly simple. So unMartha like.

And, I am proud to say it turned out great! I've never made homemade bread before and I was sure that just because it was my first time something was bound to go wrong, like it would suspect that I was a newbie so it wouldn't rise just for kicks. :)

But it totally rose. And looked beautiful. And tasted delicious. And Isaak loved it. And the girls ate it. And now it's all gone.




Oh yeah.


Martha's simple white bread recipe

4 comments:

D'Ache' said...

MMMMmmmmm yummy!

Beccy said...

You post this, and no recipe?????? Please.

Beccy said...

:o)!

Bekah Boo said...

i love you.
fun SA fact: when i first moved here i got freaked out in the store because you have "cake" flour or "bread" flour. i didn't want to make cake or bread at the time and i had no idea which to choose and why. i had to do some investigating and i think have it down to a semi-working science.
i am SOOOOOOOO excited you are making bread!!! you crack me up!