Come on in...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Not like riding a bike

I used to be a really good sewer when I was younger. My Mom had us do years and years of 4-H where we learned how to sew clothes, blankets, pillows, dolls...the whole nine yards. But, sadly, once we stopped participating in 4-H my sewing skills got a little bit rusty.

So rusty in fact...I couldn't even get the thread in the needle today!

I was trying to hem some dress pants that are like 20 inches too long, so I pull out the sewing machine, get all ready, and see that the little piece of thread is not in the needle that goes up and down (don't you love my sew lingo, I have no idea what it's all called)...so I preceded to take the next 20 minutes trying to stick that little piece of thread through that little tiny hole!

20 minutes!

My quiet time during the afternoon is precious and I actually wasted 20 minutes of it trying to thread a needle...and the saddest part is I never did!

Even sadder is that I had to wait for Isaak to come home so he could do it for me!

Which he did.

You see I have this dream that when me and Isaak retire we're going to get a big piece of land, set aside some of it to grow corn...I'm going to wash our clothes by hand, because I'm retired and I have so much time that, why not wash my clothes by hand! I'm not going to need to go to the store to buy food because we're going to grow it in our garden, which I'm going to tend to everyday. (My favorite book is Redeeming Love and two of my favorite movies are Gone With the Wind and Far and Away...this is where I get these radical notions. )

But after today whom I kidding! I can't even thread a needle...how the heck am I going to be able to grow corn let alone harvest it!

I think I need to put sewing on my "2010 Must Learn To Do List"...which I just made right now. And prior to relearning how to sew is relearning how to thread a needle. Followed by learning how to be a farmer...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

or you need a sewing machine with a needle threader! ;) That's what I have!

Liz W. said...

I'm looking into taking a sewing class thru Metro Community. Let me know if you want to sign up with me ;-)

Beccy said...

or you could just get a really fancy sewing machine that has a needle threader built in. :o)! i will join you on your imaginary farm. sounds good to me.
oh - maybe we should all do a sewing class together after we finish running our 5K.