Come on in...

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The heart of my four year old

Tonight, after I tucked the girls in bed I said a prayer for the Haitians. In a very simple way the girls could understand I asked that the Lord would keep them safe and continue to meet the their needs.
After I finished, Sydaleigh asked me, "Mommy, why did you pray for them?"

"Well, because there was an earthquake and some people got hurt, and their houses and stores fell down. So now, lots of people don't have a house anymore, and no stores to buy food to eat." I respond.

Sydaleigh thinks about what I said and asks, "are they bleeding?"

"Yes," I say, "some of them are bleeding."

"Well, we need to help wash them off and get them band-aids!!" Sydaleigh exclaims. "Mommy, I'm going to be a doctor so that I can help people! "We need to help them!" "Can I help them Mommy, all by myself?!" "Can I help the boys and girls, and you can help the mommies and daddies?!" " Can I go over there and tell them, 'Do not be afraid. I am with you. Isaiah 41.10' ."

We continued this talk for another few minutes, with Sydaleigh rattling off ideas as fast as she could think of them...coming up with all kinds of ways she can help, from sending money, to sending them hot dogs and ice cream so they have food to eat.

Wow. I love this girl. I love her heart. I love knowing that as she speaks God is smiling with delight upon her. I love that at her tender simple age of four years old she has a desire to help people. It's my prayer and hearts desire that one day, she would be able to help the people of this world that she speaks of now. I pray that God would give me the wisdom to show her how to do that. I pray that one day she will take the opportunity to go out into the world and be Christ's hands and feet. To help them. To wash them off and give them band-aids. To give them hot dogs and ice cream. To tell them about our God who says, "Do not be afraid. I am with you."

3 comments:

Bekah said...

i love that girl, too.
syd can bring me hot dogs and ice cream and when you come to visit me you can bring her too and the three of us can spend hours in township after township giving out ice cream and hot dogs and dispensing love and hugs...
He's gonna give you wisdom to raise her, Mis. Keep being honest and true to life and let her see you loving Jesus...that is all she needs, everything else is a bonus.

Unknown said...

Precious!

Rachael said...

What a precious heart. "Faith of a child" for sure. Keep teaching her who God is, and what He says in Scripture, that sure foundation will hold as she grows older and has to make choices on how to build on it. Have you heard of Baptist Haiti Mission? It's a great organization that sponsors kids, and 100% of what you give, goes directly to the kids. While I was growing up, we sponsored a child, so when I got an allowance/birthday money/chores for pay, I "tithed" it for the child we sponsored. His picture was always on our fridge, so I had a tangible way to be "hands and feet" with my little pennies :) I bet Sydaleigh would love to do something like that, or help you shop for things for kids in shelters, etc. You can never start practicing too early :)