Come on in...

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Yako, hi-top fade, Gravity and beans

I had every intention of sitting down on Sunday evening and jotting down some highlights from the weekend, but then time flew away, and here it is and it's Wednesday night and a new weekend is just around the corner.

Such is life.

So, anyways, back to this past weekend....Friday night we had dinner at the Turkish restaurant with Ruth and Linda, and an American family, the Powell's, in town right now picking up their newly adopted son. We have had the honor of meeting and spending time with a number of families who have come to Burkina to bring home a child, and it is always such a joy. It's great to connect with families who are in the same process as we are, and just rejoice in their success of being here and what that means. Man I love adoption.

Saturday we woke up bright and early and drove to Yako. We hadn't been there in 8 weeks and when we arrived I was stunned to see that the new children's play area had been completed....and it was fantastic!

I don't know if there's anything this awesome anywhere else in the entire country. This play area was off the charts cool. Mike and Amy never cease to amaze me. They are just some of my favorite people. Their creativity, ingenuity, and selflessness in serving has had a profound impact on countless people's lives here. They are pretty darn inspiring. Plus, they are just super cool people to hang out with and we enjoy their company so much.

But, back to this play area....I mean, it's awesome. The girls had a ball! There was even a little Simba painted on the wall by the slide! Disney love, what up?!

After we arrived home later in the afternoon we took a thirty minute break to get the girls some lunch and then drove them to a friend's birthday party.

Me and Isaak went to ISO to watch a little bit of the championship basketball game going on. The Ouaga Turtles and a Ghana team were battling it out in the championship, but sadly our ISO Turtle's lost. 
There were International schools here from Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, and Nigeria, with both boys and girls teams competing in the basketball tournament.  ( I was low on pictures from this weekend, so I'm sticking in a basketball one with random kids with awesome 80's hi-top fade haircuts =) Throw back to Kid N' Play!! )

Anyways, we didn't stay too long because, #1, Isaak doesn't like basketball and he doesn't know the rules so it frustrates him to have to watch a sport that he is not an expert in. =) And #2, we had to go to the market and by a load of fruits and veggies to make for dinner that night, and seen as how going to the market and then having to prepare all the food just purchased and then proceed to make dinner with it is like a five hour endeavor...we needed to get a move on. Because it was dinner and movie night at our house.

Later that evening Seth and Rebecca came over for....dinner and movie night. =) Yay! Either Friday or Saturday night is usually always movie night around here. The girls look forward to it so they can sleep in the guest bedroom and watch a movie in bed. It's a favorite thing. We watched Gravity. We as is us adults. The girls watched A Little Princess. We had been waiting for Gravity to become available for rent on I-tunes for a while, as I had been eagerly awaiting to watch it. And it did not disappoint. I loved it. Isaak loved it. Rebecca (being and the avid space lover that she is) and Seth loved it. Sandra should of taken home the Oscar if you ask me. It was so intense and the fact that pretty much a single person carried that entire movie is incredible. I can't believe she didn't win the Oscar...what a rip man.

Sunday was church. I love our church. It's so good.

Later that afternoon I stayed home to get a grip on my house and do some cleaning while everyone else went to play Frisbee. Eish man. I'm currently staring at a pile on my desk that I specifically remember cleaning off just three days ago....and now it's back, bigger than it was before. I'd like to take my arm and just sweep it all into the trash to save me to trouble of having to organize it all again...but there's actually papers in there that I kinda need....so I guess I can't do that. Bummer, that woulda saved me a lot of time.....

Sunday night while Isaak was cooking up his cow tongue, me and the girls were having a hilarious secret bean catapulting fiasco in the dining room during dinner. Sydaleigh put a bean on her fork and flung it into the air, to which I should have probably told her not to do because that's not "proper" dinner time manners, but instead I told her to do it again and aim it for my mouth. So we started shooting beans back and forth around the table trying to catch them in our mouths and when Isaak came in there were all these beans that mysteriously ended up all over the floor. I told the girls to keep it our little secret but of course they ratted me out as soon as Isaak sat down with his pile of tongue. Little stinkers. 
And to close out this little weekend recap....here is a picture of the tongue Isaak cooked up for himself and Marvelly, who totally loved it by the way. That does not surprise me in the least. The girl hates macaroni, grilled cheese and pizza and cried when she has to eat them, foods that all kids love....but give her a plate with beef tongue and she gobbles it up. What a kid. 

Ugh....looking at this picture makes me gag and make sickly faces...

So, that was our weekend. 

Good times.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

they are a pair, all right, your husband and your baby girl! love ya's!