Come on in...

Monday, March 19, 2012

A women's retreat in Amish Country

I had the pleasure of heading out of town this past weekend to Lancaster, PA, aka Amish Country, for a women's retreat with our new church. I left D.C. on Friday afternoon with Holly, Amanda and Liza, and before long we found ourselves surrounded by the most beautiful rolling hills, freshly plowed farmland, and horses and buggies trotting down the streets.

It reminded me a lot of Nebraska. Minus the horse and buggies and general Amishness.

It is a very lovely part of our country. Quiet and serene. Big skies. And after living in Nebraska all those years...I am a sucker for some big skies.

A different kind of living happens out here. It was different from what I expected Amish life to be. In my imaginings I saw little communities of Amish people, all their houses closely clustered together, away from the rush and busyness of the rest of us non-Amish folk. But I was surprised to see that many Amish people...at least the areas we drove by, lived next to non-Amish neighbors. Many did have secluded homes far back from the road, but many others lived on streets surrounded by the modern homes and conveniences we know. And then as we drove into downtown Lancaster on Saturday to explore during our free time, we saw many Amish people working in the Central Market, surrounded by other vendors, walking the cobblestone sidewalks, lounging against buildings and mingling with passersby. I always envisioned them as a very secluded people. And maybe some are, but it was interesting to see so many of them living "in" the world, without being conformed to it.

Good reminder for me.

The retreat was a blast. I had an amazing time with these ladies.....

(Holly, Liza, Amanda, me- March 2012)

Our first few hours there we went for a hike on the property. I love me a good hike. Especially when I have my third eye with me. It has been about ten months since I got to go out and photograph just for me, no rushing or hurrying about. Just slowly getting to explore the intricacies around me and find beauty in small details. I feel so very alive and "me" when I am photographing in this way. It is a passion I have been graced with and I thank Him for blessing me with it. 
During our hike we found a cool "cave"-like rock formation.....very Hunger Games-esque....if I do say so myself!
We got our Katniss on trying to set the stinkin' timer on the camera and having to run back over the not so sturdy rocks to pose for the picture. We failed...a lot. We fell, running back....a lot. But we got one!

This hike was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. I love to walk. I love creation. I love to sit and watch and breathe in the beauty and quirks and subtleties of all He made. I love seeing the different ways that trees bend and how new buds of life can grow out of strange places. It's all a miracle. Every part testifies to God as Maker.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12
I love that verse. I love thinking that these trees, in this field, were clapping their hands for their Creator. I loved getting to walk under the shade of their outstretched arms. Bekah says we are mystic dreamers....and she is right. It is a privilege to have a relationship with the Lord who confides in me, a Lord who delights in whispering secrets and sharing dreams. He is so good to us.

On Saturday we made our way to downtown Lancaster and with the help of Bekah, my Lancaster native, we hit up some really fun places. We perused Central Market, the oldest farmers market in the entire Untied States. 
 We tasted breads and goat cheese and delightful treats that made my mouth water.

We also happen to be there on St. Patrick's Day so we got to enjoy some bag piping, all things green,
some jolly frolicking,
 

and lots of men in kilts. :~)

Back at the retreat center we bonded over some hilarious "Minute To Win It" games....which we totally lost at.
We hung out around a bonfire, making s'mores, and being silly and giggling...while everyone else was getting their singin' on. I really don't know how we made it through the entire retreat weekend without being asked to leave. :~)


And if all these moments weren't enough....God had a great deal more in store for me this weekend as well.

I had the privilege of spending the weekend listening to Giselle Timbie, missionary in Egypt for 8 years, France for 3 years, and now is on staff at Christian Embassies in the United Nations Headquarters in NYC. Um...wow. There are some people that you meet, that are so experienced, have seen so much, done so much and have been used by God is some absolutely incredible ways...you would just be satisfied to sit by them. To not even say a word, and just sit, and soak up their presence and their words. That would have been enough. But, as it turns out, God had something extra special in store for me....
It's not easy getting "the ear" of guest speakers, whether it be at churches, retreats, conferences, seminars...whatever. Everyone who is there wants to speak to them. Lines form. Conversations begin. Time ticks. They have to leave. And after the first night's session I mentioned how I would love the opportunity to speak with her. But, I didn't in all likelihood see that happening as all 125+ women present had the same idea as me. So, I went to bed that night praying for an opportunity to speak with her, but okay if it didn't come.

To my great surprise Saturday morning as I walked into the dining room for breakfast, I saw that Amanda and Liza were sitting at a table in the back, with Giselle...and they had saved me a seat. I don't know how they all came to sit together...except God in His goodness somehow arranged it. He is so good to me. Knowing that I wouldn't push to the front of a line to speak to her (or stalk her outside her room)...so...He brought us to the same breakfast table. Where we could talk over eggs and toast and have minute after minute to share and listen and soak up her knowledge. And after breakfast was done and everyone was getting up to head to the meeting room...she walked around the table and stopped me. And spent the next ten minutes filling me up with life, and encouragement and practical advice. Not only did God bring an amazing speaker to this event, He brought to me, literally, straight.to.me a woman, and a mom, and a wife....who knows what it is like to cross cultures. To pack up her family of young kids and move to a foreign land, with a foreign language, to be stripped of her identity and all that is familiar....all because she was willing to be used by God.

I love that God knows what I need, even when I don't. I love that God provides and answers prayers, and is one step ahead. I am treasuring up those ten minutes spent with her and the advice and encouragement she blessed me with. What an unexpected treat. Her messages that weekend were just what I needed to hear. What everyone needed to hear. Gosh...I just can't thank Jesus enough.  It was good. It as just.all.so.good.

Great weekend. A lot of great ladies came and it was nice to get to meet so many of them. I made a ton of new memories which are now etched onto my heart.


Next time, I say we meet in Africa. So here's to dreaming. And being a willing vessel. And not getting discouraged "in the wait", learning that "it's not wrong, it's just different", to "crashing" and getting back up, to embracing my God appointed ministry....and not losing heart.



1 comment:

Bekah Boo said...

I love this all so much I can't even tell you.
and I had chills. chills. just hearing how you had the time to talk to a mom who's gone and who has done it, and figured out the balance in the in between.
i love you. love that you saw my city and the amish. FYI-the people at market are mennonites, not amish! :) hahahaha but anyway... just a fun fact.
love you!