Come on in...

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Les Miserables

Last month me and Isaak went to see Les Miserables when it was in town visiting.

Oh.my.gosh.

That was quite literally the single greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.


My.entire.LIFE!

There are hardly words to describe just how absolutely fantastic the show was. Every other show I've seen on/off broadway truly pales in comparison to Les Miserables' greatness. Not even Wicked came close (in my very Melissa opinion).

The stage design was breathtaking. And left me dumbfounded to just how they could fit all those props off stage. The props were intricate and grand and creative and thoughtfully done. I couldn't believe what I was watching was a play...it was just so grand and spectacular.

And the singing left me wanting to shout from my seat after every song.

(Actually I did shout from my seat after every song now that I mention it. :~) )

...I (along with the rest of the crowd) just couldn't sit there and keep quiet. The music was just too good, and the actors just sang them too well. I've never heard singing like that. I don't think it can even be called "singing"..."singing" doesn't sound good enough for what they did. I remember turning to Isaak so many times with my mouth hanging open. Eyes bulging. In total shock to the spectacularness that I just witnessed. Singing is an understatement. When I'm on the verge of crying after someone sings because it's so darn good...that's somethin' more.

And then there was the story.

Twenty-five years this adaptation of Victor Hugo's story has been playing in theaters.

Twenty five years, seven nights a week, all over the world....people have been proclaiming the saving grace of God.

I sat in my chair stunned at the power of the words in the music. By grace we're saved. Because of God's great love for us. No matter our past life. No matter our sins. No matter the roads we've walked and the mistakes we've made. God is able to restore and redeem and transform.

This story tells it beautifully.

I loved it so much I didn't want it to end. And neither did the rest of the crowd as we gave them a standing and shouting ovation for close to ten minutes. Ah, I was just so good!

It turns out I actually liked it more than Isaak and he was the one originally desperate to see it, after having read the book. But he didn't like the fact that there was no dialogue...just song. Which suited me just fine. 'Cause I loooove me some full blown all song and no talk musicals! Mmmm hmmmmm!! Yes I do!

Desperate for it to come back so I can see it again! I may have to go to another city if it doesn't come back. I see a Les Mis stalker in my future...either that or tormenting my family with replays of the soundtrack morning noon and night!

1 comment:

Holly said...

dang you're cute!!!
love the hair, shoes, dress, sweater...you had it DOWN that night!!

oh..and Liza is buying us tickets THE DAY they go on sale here!!! (June 2!)