Come on in...

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The land of options

A low iodine diet.

Purpose: to starve the thyroid of iodine in preparation for a radioactive iodine treatment (RAI). After two weeks of little to no iodine the thyroid will be so depleted it will suck up every bit of radioactive iodine in an attempt to kill it. 

When I found out I had to be on this diet I didn't think a whole lot of it.  I seriously had no idea what kinds of food contained iodine. I mean really....iodine isn't exactly one of those elements people think about too much. And seen as how I've been a vegetarian for the past 29 years I mostly pay attention to the important things like iron...and protein. Not so much iodine.


So dude....when I found out what foods did contain iodine...therefore, which foods I can not eat...I nearly started hyperventilating!


No dairy ( including milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream, powdered dairy creamers, whey, casein, or other dairy products).


No seafood 


No iodized salt or sea salt


No egg yolks


No baked, processed, or packaged foods


No red dye #3


No chocolate (b/c of the dairy)


No soy


No pinto, red kidney, lima or navy beans


No potato skins.


Basically...nothing with salt. Nothing with dairy. Nothing with soy. Nothing with naturally occurring iodine.

Do you know just how much stuff contains salt? Almost everything.
Do you know how much stuff contains some kind of dairy? Almost everything.
Do you know how much stuff contains some sort of soy product? Almost everything.

Being a vegetarian for the past 19 years I've kinda come to depend on, well, just about every single one of those things! Those are my sources for nutrition! What  am I gonna eat now?!

I actually got mad on Thursday when I saw what I couldn't eat for this diet. I wanted to cry at the idea of having to go without so many foods. Completely frustrated knowing what I had to give up.

But then that lovely oh so subtle Voice started whispering in my ear...."Really Melissa? Really? Look where you live. Look what's at your disposal. You're upset because you have to temporarily give up certain foods? Come on...."

Dang....He's always right. (sometimes that's really annoying when I'm looking to wallow in my desirable self pity.)

But seriously. After hearing that and reflecting on that truth for a while...my complaints started to seem absolutely ridiculous. And disgusting.



Because the fact of the matter is.....we live in the land of options. If you look hard enough...you will find something you can eat.


So I started looking. And boy was I surprised to find I didn't have to look very far. I didn't even have to broach Whole Foods doors...just made my way to my nearest Bakers. How easy is that?!


Granted, I had to pick up every jar of peanut butter on the shelf, but after a few minutes, I managed to find an organic peanut butter made only of peanuts. 
I had to pick up every carton of ice cream, but after a few minutes, I managed to find an organic dairy free soy free salt free ice cream. (it was actually really good).


It's certainly more of a challenge. No doubt it's a challenge. But by golly...if you look hard enough...you can find something you can eat.

Because this is America after all.

The land of endless options.

It doesn't matter what kind of diet you adhere to...vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, low iodine, diabetic, lactose free diet, gluten free diet....there are options out there for you.

Coconut milk instead of dairy.
Egg whites instead of yolks. 
Margarine instead of butter.
Sugar free, no salt added, tofu stuffed, organically natural. 

There's something out there for everyone.


Again....here, where I live, there is something out there for everyone. How flippin' blessed am I? And I have the nerve to complain? 

I may have to give up some staples, some luxuries, and some flavor, but regardless of what I've had to temporarily give up...I've still got food. For every meal. I've still got food.

Which is a whole lot more than these precious kids can say.

(*photos courtesy of Linny at A Place Called Simplicity)
These kids, who live on the streets of Kampala, are maybe guaranteed one meal a day. Maybe. For most not even that. They have to crouch down in an alley and pass around a bowl of food to share. Not even a plate of their own. Not even a chair or a table to sit at. Just the cold crowded street.

And I have the nerve to complain about my low iodine diet. I have the nerve to complain about food in this country, in my home. 


I mean, let's just take a look at what I have in my kitchen....(not to mention that I didn't even have to bat an eye to buy it all)

craving pasta....here's some spaghetti at my disposal. Oh, can't have regular noodles right now...not to worry, I've got organic durham wheat noodles instead.

 how about a slew of fresh fruits and vegetables to go with my meal

 How about some topping.....salsa, tapatio sauce, two different mustards, two different ranches, soy sauce, terriyaki sauce, balsamic vinegar, BBQ sauce, mayo, ketchup, jelly.....
lets look in this cupboard...three differet kinds of sugar, spices and more seasonings out the wazoo, three different kinds of beans, including no salt added ones. 

in the mood for cereal...lets see...I have six different boxes to choose from. 
And milk...1% low fat...or coconut?

for dessert? How about two baskets full of candy...or a freezer full of ice cream...chocolate, vanilla, dairy free....take your pick.....how about Popsicles???? Plenty to choose from....

how about some more topping?
regular, or lite?


"I'm sorry, diabetic? This is what you get."
"I'm sorry, lactose intolerant....this is what you get."
"Can't have salt...too bad...this is what you get."
"Don't like meat..too bad...this is what you get."
"Gluten intolerant...oh well...this is what you get."
"Irritable bowel syndrome...deal...this is what you get." 
"Tired of eating this same meal...well, you can starve if you like, or this is what you get." 

Truly...there are countless places in the world...where this is all they get. 
(*photo courtesy of Linny at A Place Called Simplicity)

Maybe. If they're lucky...this is what they get.  They don't have the luxury or endless options. They don't have luxuries at all. They get a bowl to share. And a cold street to eat it on.

And I had the nerve to complain. 

I've got a long way to go....

So grateful I serve a loving God who desires to take me there. Who desires to take me the long way. To rid me of my pride. And self pity. And complaining heart. To rid me of everything that threatens to rob me of Him. Who desires to transform my complaints and grumbles into gratefulness.

So right now I'm choosing to be grateful to go without. Grateful to not get everything I want out of this life. To know what it's like to have to give up some things. To lack some of the extras.

Because when ya don't get every last thing you want out of life....well, it helps to put things in proper perspective. It helps to remind you of just how blessed you really are. It helps you to focus more on what you do have.

And I'm reminded.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

good post - love ya!