Come on in...

Friday, April 22, 2011

THE results-Grave's Disease

So, the results are in from my thyroid testing last week, and I officially have Grave's Disease. 

I was expecting to hear that. I don't like the fact that I have an auto immune disease...but I do. So fine. I have an untreatable disease, moving on. :~)

We talked treatment options for my thyroid....and again, the doc recommended doing a radioactive iodine treatment. I was again expecting to hear that.

What I was NOT expecting to hear however, was that for seven days from recieving my radioactive iodine treamtent I can not be the primary caregiver of my kids.

"I'm sorry, I think I misheard you...say what?!"

Dang, didn't mishear her. Because I will have a high concentration of radiation in my neck I can not kiss, hug, hold, bathe, or play with the girls. I can not sleep in the same bed, share the same bathroom, or sit next to Isaak on the couch. I can not be less than an arm's length distance away from people. All people. For seven days.

Well, wasn't expecting that.

Just when I thought things were starting to get a bit easier! Life throws a big ole wrench right in my path!

Seriously?!

I'm still sorta in shock. Just shocked.

Ya just never know what life is gonna throw your way when ya wake up in the morning. You'd think that in the past five weeks I'd be used to surprises. But nope. Life still finds a way to make my eyes shoot out and my mouth drop to the floor.

The doctor told me that if I choose not to do the radioactive iodine treatment, I could take medication to slow my thyroid for a few years until the girls are older and then have the radioactive iodine in a few years. But, I would need constant monitoring if I did the medication, with doctor visits every 3-6 weeks to check my levels. Or, I could have surgery...but I would still have to first take the medication to slow my thyroid down for a while before they could operate. Not to mention the recovery time involved.

Wow. Yeah, sorry, but none of this is sounding too good to me. These are just all inconvenient. 


"It is never going to be convenient to have this treated, but it's at least more convenient now, than it will be in a few years, especially since you're adopting more kids! Just do the radioactive iodine, find some place to go, and get.it.over.with." my mom.

"I think this would be a good time for you to take a mini vacation and get out of the house for seven days." my husband.


"Your mom and Isaak are right. Think of it as a retreat." Holly.

One things for certain-I can't stay at home. I can't be in the same home as my children after treatment because there is no way they would understand not being able to be close to Mommy. Isaak already talked to his boss and was cleared to take leave in May for a week.

So, I guess the solution was pretty clear to everyone but me when I heard it! Do the radioactive iodine. Go someplace alone. Get it over with. Move on.

So....

I have my radioactive iodine treatment set up for Friday May 6th. And after I'm done I'm drivin' on outta here for a nice week long "retreat"...just me. Me...secluded from society. Me and the Lord. Me and my books, my bible, my t.v., my whatever I want. Just me. I can do this. (Can I?!) Me and no kids? Me and no Isaak? Me and no people, at all?! I've never, ever ever done anything like this ever. Granted, I never had a reason to seclude myself from people...and this isn't exactly what I had in mind...but, that's what's a gonna happen.

I'm slowly starting to see the Lord in all of this. His hand. His leading. Having Grave's Disease, my Greece trip being changed, and not being able to go. (another post on that to come at some point.)
It's slow. But the Lord is graciously showing me His hand in this situation.

In the meantime....from now until May 6th when I start the first leg of my treatment and retreating for a week....I have to be on a low iodine diet for sixteen days......

well that's not gonna be easy!

But I'm getting pretty used to "not easy", and learning just what it means to be flexible, and trusting, and faithful. So, why not! A low iodine diet it is.

Bring it.

4 comments:

Beccy said...

Does this mean your girls are coming over to play the next week? My boys will be very excited to have their friends over. :o) Are we still on for our girls day on the 7th? Let me know if you need anything - for real.

Georgia said...

i was waiting for you to post this - i knew you would!! it's going to be ok. love ya!!!

D'Ache' said...

You have an answer and it's not life threatening. Life changing, yes but manageable/ controlable. Your family is strong and you are strong. You can make it through.

Tera said...

God gives the hardest trials to the people he KNOWS trust his divine hand and his paths for them to grow and be refined. He loves you, he is aware of your struggles and fears. But most of all he has sent you friends and family who are praying for you, and willing to help!! Call if you need to chat, cry, whatever! Love you!