Come on in...

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Start spreading the news...I'm leaving today!"

It's my birthday. It's my birthday. In the city. In the city. Whoop whoop!

Friday November 19th. Waking up in NYC. On my birthday. Feeling truly blessed to be here, especially with Isaak. We woke up a little bit later that morning. Took our time eating breakfast. Didn't rush getting ready. Carefully packed away what we came with plus a little bit extra. And then set off for the last time in a city that we were already starting to fall in love with.

one last time up this stairway to heaven

 
onto the subway that we feel we quite confidently mastered at this point. (okay maybe not mastered, that might be a bit strong, but know enough not to break out into a cold sweat whenever we board hoping we make it where we want to go)

this morning we go to the United Nations.


There was this gripping photography exhibit showcasing the impact of access to AIDS treatment for individuals in nine countries around the world. Eight photographers documented the lives of individuals and their families - before, and four months after the start of treatment for AIDS. 

(one day, one day, God willing, God will steer my photography in a similar direction, *sigh*)

We took a tour, and this was our tour guide. This kid was ridiculous smart. I was embarrassed by how much I didn't know of what he was talking about.


 the General Assembly!
no words good enough to describe what it felt like sitting in those blue chairs. I just felt very small at that moment. What a treat it was to sit in this room that is occupied by leaders from all over the world.
 (not occupied right at this moment obviously.)




Human Rights. 
The global rights to which all human beings are entitled- adopted in 1948 by the United Nations

An escopetarra - a guitar made from a modified gun, used as a peace symbol.                                                                                                  










Behind me is the 'twisted gun' entitled "Non Violence" -a signature art piece at the U.N.
 I felt ready to take on the world after going there! I loved it!

 We had just enough time after we left the U.N. to take the subway to T.S. and then walk to Hell's Kitchen and grab some lunch at a cozy little restaurant. We were the only ones in the whole place, we sat by the window, just us, eating some brick oven pizza. Mmmm, this place was good too.

walked past Mood on the way there. (Project Runway baby!)

 As we sat and talked, and reflected on the last four days... I had two lingering things on my mind from our trip.

Number 1...what is the deal with all these little water towers on all of the buildings?!

Isaak did a quick google search for me and discovered...

 "In the 1800s, New York City required that all buildings higher than six stories be equipped with a rooftop water tower. This was necessary to prevent the need for excessively high pressures at lower elevations, which could burst pipes."  Okay. Good to know. Helps pressurize the water.

But answer me this...where are all the gas stations?! In a city as big as this, with as many cars clogging the streets as there are, you'd think you'd see a gas station every few blocks. But no. Not one! Not a single flippin' gas station. What the heck? Where are the gas stations people?!! How do you fill up your cars?!

Deep, I know. :~)

Anyways, it was time to make our way to Penn Station, but not before I treated myself to a birthday cupcake at this funny little shop in Hell's Kitchen called Burgers and Cupcakes. What? Yeah. That's what they sold. Hamburgers. And cupcakes. Tee hee. What an odd mix! But the cupcake was delightful, better than delightful actually, when I close my eyes I can still taste the chocolate ganache covered with creamy peanut butter. Mmmmmmm... I love New York City....


Next stop...D.C....WHAAAHOOOOO!!!

5 comments:

Bekah Boo said...

yes, yes... one day friend. He is ALREADY using your photography to bring light. To bring His Beauty out. To others.
and when I open my women's home, you better believe you'll be coming along to shoot and shower love and light over that Home.

Bekah Boo said...

also, freakin cut hat.

Holly said...

it IS a freakin' cute hat!

and uh...that is a freakin' cute picture of us!

COME BACK!!!!!

Georgia said...

you're so cute!!! i agree w/ bekah - God is already trending your photography that way. you have a book already. love ya!

Liz W. said...

another GREAT recap!!

and I agree a GREAT pic of H&M!!!

Love you both!