Come on in...

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hilton Head 2010

  
My beach. My favoritetess of all beaches anywhere I've been in the United States. It doesn't boast anything particularly special. No fancy boardwalk, no pier, no jaw dropping cliffs, or eye catching scenery. It's just, simple. And peaceful. And the sand is as fine and soft as any sand I've ever laid my toes on. 

It is never busy, in beach standards, when I come. It has special little nooks and crannies behind the non-busier sand paths with tall sweepy grasses and tiny dunes for resting. The spots I most enjoy to lay. To watch.

To watch the people pass by. To watch the sky and water merge together.


To close my eyes and breathe the salty air. And silently give thanks to Him for it all. It's my special place.


Hilton Head was a blast this year. It was one of our smaller years with only 38 people able to come. Probably a big head count for most families, but we usually average around 50+...so 38 feels small with us.

This was our 11th year meeting in Hilton Head for Thanksgiving. And we have our own little traditions by now on this charming little island. Wednesday night is Fuddruckers.
burgers and cousins and lots of love from aunts and uncles, and basketball and...chocolate.
Thursday is bird day. My mom is such a little Betty Crocker. She was very proud of her pretty little stuffed bird. You find a seat where you can,



and if you can't find a seat you go out here-which is where half of everyone ends up.

There is guaranteed to be poker every night. And this year me and my mom got in on the action. I have never played poker before, had no clue what I was doing, playing with all the mens who know cards inside and out...and yet, after three hours, and 13 players, little ole me came in third, boo-YEAH! and my mom came in 2nd! WHAT?!! We totally.rocked those guys!! Haaa.ha.ha.ha.haaaa!!!

(We went to bed that night at 1am and got up at 3:30am to go to Target off the island with a van full of cousins to do some early bird shopping. First time doing that. Got some great deals. Stood in line for nearly an hour. Probably won't do it next year. But it was still a load of fun!)

The beach we hit up everyday. And the weather was beautiful this year. It was actually in the 70's on Thanksgiving day.

me and my mom and Isaak's shadow-Hilton Head Island November 2010



oh.yeah. That's right. Don't be jealous that I just totally busted out an awesome one handed bald mermaid sculpture.  

The girls had their 2nd annual girls' night out party too. Which I have no pictures of. Because I was busy watching Harry and having an adults night out (my mom is awesome!)...but there was some serious girl time, complete with make-up, pizza, dancing, a night time walk, dress up, loads of giggles and squeaks.  

Victoria. My niece and an ever talked about favorite big cousin. They got to spend lots of time together.

Larry. Marvelly's adopted pelican statue friend, that she named Larry. They spent lots of time together.

Favorite family who we don't see nearly enough...

Aunt Abby and Uncle Joel






















Uncle Jordan and Aunt Becca.


my brothers have a thing for beards of which Marvelly lovingly called the pokies.

It was a great time. We were sad to leave, as usual, but ready to be heading home. The girls were ready to see their cats and get ready for Christmas, our next big thing on the calendar.

Next stop, home bound.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

larry the crane??? i didn't know about larry - how cute! good pic. leaves in sand, you in sand, and the ocean - love ya