Come on in...

Monday, March 2, 2009

The Claw

Okay, after 15 months I decided it was about time that I got my toosh back to the dentist for a cleaning.
I was seriously overdue.
And having a dental assistant in the house doesn't help matters much.
I'm forever hearing about matters of the mouth...

"When are you going to get back into the dentist?"
"Are you flossing daily?"
"Are you brushing for two minutes at a time?"
"Okay, you say you're flossing, but are you doing it correctly?"
"Are you brushing correctly?"
"Are you feeling any cavity type sensations in your mouth?"
(in his very serious you need to listen to me because I work in people's mouth's all day long and I know what I'm talking about kind of voice)

Oye. (followed by- bless his heart)

Soooo after procrastinating for 15 months I decided it was time.

But, I was not really looking forward to it.

I'm not one of those people who are scared of the dentist or anything like that, but hey,
after 15 months, I could only imagine what my teeth looked liked!
Oh it was not going to be pretty,
nor was it going to feel good.
Not that going to the dentist generally feels good on your teeth anyways,
but hey, after skipping two 6 month appointments, it was definitely going to feel worse.

Which is where the CLAW comes in.
Burrrrrr.
Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

The Claw. You know what I'm talking about...

That crazy claw like device that the hygenist not so pleasantly scrapes across your teeth, jams underneath your gums, while you lay helplessly in the chair thinking to yourself,
"Is it over yet?!"

The claw.

Not my favorite part of the appointment process.

After 15 months-I knew there was going to be a lot of scraping.

So, I'm sitting in the chair-the scraping and jamming is going as expected, and then all of a sudden...
SCRAAAAAPE (ouch, that hurt a bit)...
followed by ,
"Whoops!",
followed by,
"suck on this for a minute,"
followed by an unhealthy amount of blood fleeing my mouth via "the sucker thingy".

Okay, ummm, some advice...
the last thing a patient wants to hear while sitting helplessly in a chair while being poked and prodded mercilessly is,
"WHOOPS!"

Oh my poor mouth.
I was clawed! clawed with the claw!

I think she left a bruise.
Next time I'm just gonna let Isaak have a go at cleaning my teeth.
At least if he slips and claws me I can burn his dinner or something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, I feel your pain...I've been using a new electric toothbrush (one I got at Walmart for $20) and boy is 2 min a LONG time...I guess I wasn't doing a very good job before.

BIBrooks said...

Okay Melissa here you go. The INSTRUMENT that was used was most likely a curette because they can be used below the gum line. Most likely a Graceys. not a claw. I do agree about the whoops. A patient never wants to hear that come out of somebody who is using very sharp objects in their mouth. I usually just say "umm I'll be right back." and then hand them the "sucker thingie" also known as the saliva ejector or simply, suction. Followed by repeated rinsing with water. I am terribly sorry for your experience and hope the next one is better.
P.S. I like dinner burned sometimes. adds a unique flavor.