Come on in...

Monday, February 11, 2013

A winner's welcome...Burkina's futball team returns home.

Our house is located downtown. We live just a couple miles from the airport....

So I can hear it all.....

I sit hear listening to whistles being blown, horns honking, trumpets blaring...it is 8:26pm...and the Burkina Faso soccer team has just arrived back in country and is now leaving the airport and making their way to a nearby hotel. The entire city was  released from work early today so that they might be able to stand in wait and proudly welcome their team home tonight.

I step outside for a moment.

On the patio you can hear the crowds cheering. You can hear the drums beating.

I stand there a moment longer. I listen to it all. I can hear the pride.

Despite the fact that Burkina lost last night in the African Cup Finals to Nigeria, the first time they have ever made it to the championship game.....you'd never know it listening to this crowd.

You'd never know they lost.

These people are so proud of their countrymen. Even in defeat they stand proud.

They line the streets and embrace their team home with a victorious welcome. They may not have won the game...but they will receive a winners welcome.

I have no doubt that the celebration will go on for many hours. For a country that is so very poor in more ways than I can describe...they are certainly not poor in spirit. They take hold of what is good and are able to find hope and joy even in loss. They are a noble people.

And it is with great pride of my own that I listen to the revelry outside....it is the sweetest sound.

2 comments:

Bekah Boo said...

yes.
i was so torn, honestly, who to cheer for. both nigeria and burkina are dear.
so dear.
but man, i fell in love with futbol in africa. you will too. it is infectious.
i am cheering on the team too!
winners! all!

Beccy said...

M. Can I just say that that is what you girls did for me when I came to NE broken and defeated. You surrounded me and cheered for me and made me feel loved and welcome. Was thinking about our Mama Mia weekend when I took G. to the theater this week for his birthday. Love you all and miss you. I love when people celebrate. We have so much to learn from Africa for sure!!,