Come on in...

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sydaleigh's first day of 1st Grade!!

I had arranged to ride on the shuttle with Sydaleigh for her first day of school-to make sure she was comfortable and found her way to her new teacher. But on Wednesday evening over dinner Sydaleigh asked if she could ride the bus by herself. I could see this twinkle in her eye. She was excited to do something on her own without me.

She is brave, that girl. Being in a new country so unlike the United States has not phased her at all. She is not tense or unsure. She is steady. She is adventurous. And I did not want to give her a reason to be anxious when she wasn't....so I agreed to stay behind and let her ride to school alone.
So, I woke up at 5:30am on Thursday, took a shower and allowed myself the opportunity to cry and cover her in prayers. I woke her up at 6am and she ate her breakfast and got dressed in an outfit she picked out for this day while we were living in DC.
We went over the safety rules with her again. Isaak gave her some money and when we were heading out the door, Sydaleigh asked for our phone numbers. Right! Phone numbers would be good! With everything happening that morning, I completely forgot to put our numbers in her bag...just in case. Love that the Holy Spirit prompted her to ask. Now, I could send her off in peace knowing she was equipped with everything she needed in case of a problem.
And she got on the bus promptly at 6:30am...without hesitation. Without worry or anxiety. The Lord had given her a spirit of peace and excitement for her new life and she waved to us from that window with pride and eager anticipation. How proud I was of her.
And then she was gone. I committed her to the Lord's care and let her go. I let her ride off in a foreign country we've only lived in for four days by herself....and trust that the Lord would care for her, counsel her and protect her in my absence.

And He did. He loves her more than I do. He desires her well being even more than us. And it was with the sweetest joy that I welcomed her smiling face home that afternoon. She had a fantastic day. She sat on the bus next to a boy in her class that we had met already this week. She made many new friends...even African ones she told me! :~) She loved her new teacher the most and spent the day making a book.

Praying that every day is as joy filled as her first was. Praying that the Lord uses her to shine His light and carry His love and hope into the lives of all she touches.

Here's to a great year!

5 comments:

Beccy said...

AMAZING! I love when our kids surprise us. So proud of you for doing this! Need your address when you have time.

Holly said...

wow. just wow.
way to go HOLY SPIRIT and YOU GO GIRL to Sydaliegh!

Samantha said, "Wow! She's BRAVE!"

D'Ache' said...

YEA!!!!!! Connor loved riding the bus in Turkey. Is her school a DOD school?

Missy said...

It is not a traditional DoD school. It is accredited in the US but anybody who can afford the tuition can go. It's just an international school.

D'Ache' said...

Awesome! She will have such an awesome experience. Very few get this opportunity and it will be such a highlight in her life forever. Connor still talks about his friends from GCM and misses them quite a bit.