Come on in...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter 2012

We did Easter a little bit different in our house this year. Spurred on with an idea from my dear friend Kelly, we did UnEaster baskets this year, forever (hopefully) changing our focus for how Easter is going to be celebrated in our home.

I've always loved Easter. My heart looks forward to celebrating this day and all that Jesus accomplished on the cross. But as a family...we've been falling short.

Sadly, it's been more about the sweets, than the sacrifice.

And I was determined to try and change that this year. I wanted our focus to be on Jesus. And Jesus alone. So, on Good Friday after dinner we sat down as a family and watched "The Story of Jesus for Children." I'm not sure what the age range of children it's actually intended for. Marvelly started to lose interest about half way through and then got super interested again when the Roman soldiers ear got cut off. Which they showed. It was very quick but still showed the ear getting sliced off and being all bloody and mangled. Um...was.not.expecting.that! And that's when we lost Sydaleigh. :~)After that she was nervous to watch the rest for fear that it was going to be too gruesome, not that I can blame her, we were all kind of shocked by the mangled ear.

So she came and sat by me and covered her eyes during the parts where Jesus was being whipped and beaten. It really was a children friendly movie, it was....but maybe more for children around 8 and up. It wasn't particularly bloody or overly violent, but still, my girls haven't ever watched anything close to this violently realistic, so it was hard to watch. Ever more so because it was about Jesus.

I didn't want to traumatize them with the violent details surrounding Jesus' torture and death, but I didn't want to sugarcoat it either. Talk about a fine balance, holy cow.  I want them to know the truth of what Jesus endured. Because He did it for them. So, we fast forwarded the driving of the nails through his hands and feet and just showed him up on the cross. Again, it was kid friendly so it wasn't overly graphic, but enough for them to see and understand what He suffered through.

Afterwards we drew pictures of Jesus and put it in an envelop which served as his tomb. I like how Sydaleigh drew her Jesus with brown skin, even though she's only ever seen him portrayed with "peach".
Saturday night we took a big rock from outside and took turns naming one sin that we each struggle with and wrote it on the rock with a marker. I then placed the rock in one of their Easter baskets and covered it with some red material.

Sunday morning when it was time to "do" their baskets I took out the rock and we spent a few minutes taking turns holding the big rock and talking about how heavy it was. I told them that that is how sin feels. It's heavy and doesn't feel good to carry with us. But when Jesus died he took our heavy sins with him on the cross so that we wouldn't have to carry them anymore. And because of his sacrifice and grace and love for us, everyone who believes in Him gets to live with him in Heaven, forever.

It's the same thing we always talk about, but it was nice to incorporate some visual things to help them understand the significance even more.

I don't know if they fully understood it. And that's okay. I bathed them in prayer and asked that the Lord would take over with His Spirit where my words fell short.

And that's the best I can do. It's all I'm called to do. To tell. To share. To live His love and share His love. Not make them understand. I learned a long time ago that only the Holy Spirit can do that.

So, we gave them their baskets and instead of being filled with candy we filled them with a couple of intentional gifts. Each got a new book by the Bearanstain Bears Living Lights. And then Sydaleigh received a new journal and colored pencils to continue developing her passion for being an artist. And Marvelly was given some playdoh to help foster her passion for creating as well. (She's only four, so we are still in the discovery phase with her. She hasn't really shown a particular passion towards anything except playing. Which is totally fine. She has one heck of an imagination!)

Church that afternoon was GREAT! For reals, one of the best Easter services I have EVER been to! I am a major sucker for choirs let me tell ya. Gets my blood pumpin'! One of the things I miss the most about church in the south....they do choirs real good down there. :~)

And then we headed over to the Panter's house to celebrate the goodness of this day with lots of friends.

Um, I think head count tallied 41 people. Loved everyone of them. Had a great time connecting and laughing and eating (yummy Greek food!)

The kids had a blast with their friends and scavenging for eggs in the Easter egg hunt.

And then we headed back to recap our day and connect with Isaak's Uncle Bobby and Aunt Lisa who are currently in town visiting. It was whirlwind day. Full of joy and celebration. Reveling in Christ's triumph over sin and death. And praying that the significance of this day and Jesus' sacrifice is never lost on us. May we never forget. And may our lives be moved to love Him and follow Him with reckless abandonment because of it.

2 comments:

D'Ache' said...

Y'all look so cute!

Holly said...

awesome idea with the baskets! I love love love them!
we don't do 'candy' either...treats but not 'candy' and we do books too!
I LOVE all the other cool stuff you did with the girls!
So precious!
So sweet to be able to celebrate this Easter with such amazing friends!

Love you guys!!!