Come on in...

Monday, December 19, 2011

A pit stop in D.C. to see some favorite people!

 On the way home from South Carolina we headed north and stopped in D.C. for a few days to see Jake and Holly and all those lovely little girls. Sydaleigh hadn't seen her friends since they moved so she was just as eager as me to catch up. And, just like me and Holly, Sydaleigh and Marvelly picked up right where they left off. There was no warm up periods needed....they literally hugged and smiled from ear to ear upon seeing each other and then ran upstairs to get their playing on.
Those girls are like sister extensions. Friends. But close enough to be sisters. There is a comfort and familiarity between them. Of course they quarrel, but there is a reassurance that it will pass and all will be well. Those kinds of friends aren't easily found......

I got me one of those friends right here. Holly. She's my person. And it was beyond joyful to spend five days with her. My heart was especially needing it. The encouragement. The distraction. The laughter. The support. The "you're gonna be fine's". Every time I see her I'm always floored with thankfulness to God for bringing her into my life. She's pretty special. :~)
 
And brave. But, then again, living in DC for almost two years will do that to a gal. While I was freakishly keeping an eye on my kids, never letting them wander more than 12 in. from my side, Holly was like, "it's fine, let em' run. This is a quiet day downtown." I'm sorry...come again?? Who.is.this.person?! :~)
We visited the National Mall with all the girls in tow. It was an adventure. (But clearly I was the only one who thought so. This is like, old news to them now.) :~) My girls were very impressed by "The Tower" aka, Washington's Monument. They were convinced Rapunzel was perched at the top. (which is a strong indication we watch a lot of Disney and I do absolutely nothing to dispel their beliefs in princesses.)

We hit up the Pentagon to visit Jake and see his home away from home. So cool to visit that with everyone because that is one thing they hadn't done yet! And it was crazy. I don't know how people cope coming here everyday! Mavelly lost her breakfast in Holly's car, and Isaak's pants, after circling the parking lot for the fiftieth time just trying to find a parking spot to get in!
(which we never ended up finding). 

The building is massive. One wrong turn down an identical hallway and you won't find your way out until next Thursday. 

Here are construction workers still mending the building back to wholness after the attacks so many years ago. (apparently photography was forbidden, even outside...but somehow I missed the signs-oops.)

There was romping and running and chasing and a full table filled with hilarious little girl conversations every day.
 There was dress up galore.
 There was no shortage of grown up conversations too.
Still can't tell those twins apart. So I still just call them Snora. Isaak on the other hand seemed to have no problem keeping track of who was who. All the girls have grown so much. But I loved hearing the twins laugh. That has not changed one bit. It is exactly the same as when they were babes.
Our driving set up all week! Proud to say we did not get pulled over one time! Which is a miracle when you're driving with Holly! :~)

We hit up the mall for five hours! Five hours. With six girls. Two mommas. And one dad. We, uh, got a lot of looks. And by looks...I also mean looks and comments. And by looks and comments, I mean we were the walking "Sister Wives" show to everyone who looked and commented. It was hilarious!
(Our group turned heads that's for sure.)


We did crafts and played and tickled and talked photography and filled up just about every spare second of time we had together. 

And then there was Becky. And Holly and Becky. And me and Holly and Becky....all together again. Still, trying to put into words this night...I come up short. Just being together felt like, home. That place where your heart is safe and comfortable and free and at peace being in the company of people who know it. Who really know it. And who love you and cherish you. Who are not afraid to laugh at you till they pee. That place with friends where you can't put your foot in your mouth and if ya could you'd be laughed at anyways. I love that place. And even though we've all changed. And God is busy taking our lives in different places....."we're" still the same. That will never change. And it's comforting to know that. To be blessed with friends like that.

 We got together for one night while Becky was conveniently also in town to watch ourselves some Breaking Dawn! Oh yeah! Just like old times. Except the movie was a total bust...I'm talking killer disappointment. But the night made up for itself when dinner followed with some of Holly's new people! All lovely. And unique. And I wished I had more time with each of them because after two hours of the eight of us being squished around this table talking and laughing...I feel like they are my people now too!

It was a great trip. Utterly fantastic from beginning to end. We even got a skype in with Brooke and Liz during it too! My heart left full and refreshed. And even getting stuck in a winter snow storm on the way home for the third year in a row couldn't put a damper on my mood! Till next time!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm cryin' all over again.
perfectly put sista'.