Come on in...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas season in full swing

When we pulled back into town on December 3rd., after fifteen days away, we hit the ground running with Christmas preparations.

So as we unloaded the car and unpacked our bags, we unloaded the garage and unpacked our Christmas decorations right along with it.

We are doing Christmas smaller this year though. We only put up the tree and stockings, and like, two other Christmas themed decor in the house. I have my faithful homemade fleece Christmas throw that Aunt Sherry made me over ten years ago. And my Christmas Mickey perched on the couch. And that about does it this year. I wanted something more simple. With everything going on at the moment, it didn't make much sense to do Christmas big like always. And, I like it better this way. I like the more simple approach. Less stuff. Which will be good preparation for next Christmas. :~)

Before we left town we put together some Christmas presents for some local school children. We decided to forego doing Samaritan's Purse Shoeboxes this year (*gasp!*) and instead Isaak selected three kids in Omaha and we shopped for them with the girls. We wrapped them up and prayed that the gifts would be a blessing. And I can only pray that one day this will reach my girls hearts and they will understand what it means to give and to pour into someone else. One year at a time.....
 Putting up the tree and fluffing it out.

decorating it with all those "little carrots" and loading up single branches with four bulbs to make it as beautiful as can be. Normally I would go back and re-decorate the tree, spreading out the ornaments so that the other branches wouldn't feel left out....but this year I just left it all where it was. And it looks just as good. :~)

 We have been busy making treats, trying new recipes, and this year I did my first attempt at salt dough ornaments. Sydaleigh thought they worked better as a mustache.

It has been a particularly stressful season for me. Being out of town for so long and coming back to school and Christmas and having to readjust has been slower. We were all out of sorts of a while. I am still out of sorts. The simpler approach to Christmas has helped but there is no denying that Christmas is different this year. My heart is in a much different place. Some days it has been very hard to focus on the reason why I decorated at all. And other days I have to scoop myself off the floor after succumbing to tears over a Christmas song on the radio. Even in the midst of preparing for a major life change, this year is still different. So many friends have moved on this year. I was standing in the kitchen tonight remembering all the faces I won't be seeing this year. Missing their company. Longing for more time spent with them. Some days this life is harder than others. Even in my thankfulness over God's plan and different directions for us all....I still miss each and every one.

One day though....there will be no more missing.

One day....we'll all be together.

One day...a long time ago...Jesus came and made that hope possible.

One day...a long time ago...God came, humbled Himself, and took on the created form he Himself created, and brought with His life an eager anticipation that all who love Him will be together, forever. And I rejoice over that day. The day when all those faces will be gathered in one place.

With five days left before Christmas....I celebrate ALL that Jesus' life made possible. It cost Him more than I will ever know....and I am exceedingly grateful.

1 comment:

Beccy said...

Do you always decorate for Christmas garden of Eden style? :o)