Come on in...

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Prioritizing our last days.....

We are down to twelve days In Burkina Faso, as of this Saturday morning.

This is our last Saturday to get work done around the house to prepare for the packers who are scheduled to come in four days. There is a lot that needs to be done. It is hard, very time consuming work preparing for an international move in just four weeks time. 

Thankfully, being the professional movers that we are, I have my methods for getting packed and purging before any move, and it's serving me well now.

Which is good, because having a toddler in the house with no siblings to play with during the day except for me certainly doesn't aid me and my efforts to getting stuff done! But we're doin' it! We're getting there. Slowly but surely we are getting ready. 

But, getting ready to move is not my priority these last days.

It just isn't.

The junk drawers always get sorted. The miscellaneous papers always get thrown away. The pictures always get taken off the walls. The bags always get packed. The boxes always get taped.

Those are things I know to be true after moving so much. Therefore I refuse to spend all my time fussing over the details and investing all my time in "moving" but instead making sure that I leave time, lots and lots of time, to invest in people.

All the wonderful people we have relationships with here are our priority these last days.

Not packing.

We're not letting ourselves be so consumed with the stresses of our impending move that we forgo spending time with those dearest to us. So I'm still walking with Megan. Isaak's still going to youth group. We are still keeping our Downton watching weekly dates with Seth and Rebecca. We are saying yes to every single opportunity to spend time with the people in our lives.

I had a girl's night on Sunday at Joanna's house. A girl's night at Molly's the week before that. Isaak had a few evenings with just the guys. There have been play dates during the week. A trip to Yako. Monday night breakfast dinner with Fred and Nathanja. Saturday night with Seth and Rebecca.
A final spades night yesterday evening.
Ultimate frisbee on Sunday afternoons. Play dates for the girls after horseback riding with their favorite friends. Pizza hang out night at our house with the whole gang. Movie nights with my mom. Dinner with Ruth and Linda and a visiting American family in town to bring their newly adopted son home. An upcoming birthday celebration for Steven. And whatever other opportunities these last two weeks hold.

This is our priority. Being with those closest to us. The people we have invested in and who have invested into our lives in return during our years in Burkina.

These are the moments that matter the most to us. I'm not going to neglect our relationships to de-clutter the house. If I have to get up at the crack of dawn and stay up till midnight to get stuff completed around the house, that's what I'm doing so that we can say "yes" to these moments as much as possible.

Twelve days to go.....makin' 'em count. =)

1 comment:

Georgia said...

it was a fun night - AND we won! even funner!!!!