Come on in...

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Santa vs. Disney

A very earnest conversation me and the girls had a few weeks ago........ =)


On the last day of school for Christmas break Sydaleigh came home from school and shared with me a pivotal conversation she had on the bus earlier that day.

She told me that she was talking to a girl friend about Christmas and during their conversation she had mentioned that she did not believe in Santa Claus and it was her parents (us) who brought her gifts, not Santa. (I may have forgotten to tell her to tread lightly in this area to not dash the hopes of other kids....whoopsy.)

Upon hearing this news, her friend got quite offended, being the avid Santa believe that she is, and went on to inform Sydaleigh that she did not have Christmas joy because she did not believe in Santa Claus.

As Sydaleigh said this last sentence she got quite angry and offended and started to cry, saying, "She said I don't have Christmas joy!" Seriously, the nerve!

I went on to tell her that the next time she has a conversation like this to tell the girl, or whoever it may be, that your Christmas joy comes from Jesus, not Santa. And that He is the reason we celebrate Christmas and the one we choose to believe in.

I also attempted to explain that some parents just teach their kids about Santa as a fun Christmas tradition, buuuut....she took just as great offense to that saying, "But their parents are LYING to them!!! They are lying to their kids! He isn't real!!"

Truuuue. Yes. But I said it's kinda the same as you believing in fairies. (Here's where I almost had a heart attack).....she said, "I know fairies aren't real."

WHAT?!!?! 

W. hat did you say?! 

Fairies aren't real?! Excuse me?! Don't you know what it says in Peter Pan?! That every time you say a fairy isn't real a fairy falls down dead! Quick! Clap your hands! CLAP YOUR HANDS I SAY!!!!! 

The girls just erupt in laughter.

What about when we went to Disney world and Tinkerbell flew during the fireworks? Huh, huh?!

Mom, Tinkerbell wasn't there that night. 

Oh yeah, well, that's because her wings were tired and she needed to take a night off silly! I suppose you are going to tell me you don't believe in mermaids either?! And what about princesses? Or talking fish?! Or Peter Pan? (I am not to be grouped into that group of parents Sydaleigh was referring to who "lies" to their kids, because I am still under the impression that all things Disney related are totally real, and I refuse to believe otherwise =) )


Marvelly had joined us at this time, and both girls just looked at each other with these amusing smiles on their faces, and they said, laughing, "okay mom, we still believe in fairies and mermaids."

Dang right you do!!! (thank goodness for kids who humor me!)

Disney wins again. Take THAT Santa!

What is the difference you say? Well, for starters, Santa is a creepy fat man who stalks into your house while you're sleeping. Um, that's enough right there. Invader danger y'all.

While Disney on the other hand is magical and beautiful with good triumphing over evil and there are adventures and a thousand ways to suspend disbelief and use your imagination to enter into creative and fantastical worlds.

I never want my kids to forget how to suspend disbelief and be silly and whimsical and use their imaginations no matter how much they "know" somethings not real. I always want them to treasure the kid in them always. 

And then Sydaleigh and Marvelly went on to build a fairy house out of cardboard and decorate it with leaves and flower petals. It had a little door and window and all their fairies could sit inside.

So, the moral of this conversation....joy comes from Jesus, and Disney trumps Santa. 

Good life lessons right there. =)

1 comment:

Georgia said...

oooh my gosh! we never taught you kids that there was a santa. only taught you about st. nickolas. and that santa was a nice story that started with the man nickolas. and you SURELY remember that each and every one of you CHOSE to believe in santa anyway. i couldn't convince you differently! even though we let you know that Jesus was our provider and because of Him, mom and dad could buy presents. nope. did not matter. hahahaha!!!!!! fairies are real!! lololol! love ya! that's for real!!