Come on in...

Monday, July 1, 2013

Sydaleigh the artist and the author.

From the time Sydaleigh was just a wee toddler, she told me that she wanted to be an artist when she grew up. She had an affinity towards drawing from an early age, and over these past few years it hasn't waned. But within the past year, she has broadened her skills from drawing and started creating books as well.

She draws. And she writes. It is a passion of hers.


And when I say making books...I mean I have stacks and stacks of computer and notebook paper stapled together of all her stories. And I do mean stacks!
 Everyday she is either starting a new book, or writing in one she already started. Every. single. day.
This is her newest creation from over the weekend. She is writing a book, a true story, documenting her newest adventures learning to ride a horse. She told me that once it is completed she wants to turn it into a real book...like the one Mimi made. =)
 I told her that if she finishes all the pages she's stapled together with both words and pictures...then I will try to find a way to turn it into a real book. Her eyes got all big and bright with delight when I told her that. I guess I better start researching a way to do that now.... =)

We go through massive amounts of paper each week, but it's a small price to pay to see Sydaleigh engaged in something that she is passionate about and brings her so much joy.

I love this part about parenting. Where you get to sit back and watch God develop passions and gifts and callings in your children's lives and see how they play out over time.

And right now, in this time of Sydaleigh's life...she is convinced she is going to be both an artist, and an author. And I will do my best to encourage her in that dream....

4 comments:

Liza said...

She's so talented, Melissa! And so dedicated - working a book every day?! Definitely a worthwhile investment of paper :)

Holly said...

beautiful!!
there are some amazing homeschool resources on writing and illustrating and 'making' books.
these are the only two off the top of my head but I'll do some digging and find more:

http://www.amazon.com/Written-Illustrated-Revolutionary-Two-Brain-Illustrate/dp/0933849001

http://www.barebooks.com/books.htm

Bekah Boo said...

oh course holls knew resources :)
love Syd!! tell her i am proud, and beaming!
and of you too, encouraging her :)

Georgia said...

well, she sure DRAWS better than me!!!!! she'll be that artist and author, i am certain of that. i need one of those bools for a Christmas present! maybe she can start writing one for me now! love ya!!