Come on in...

Monday, September 17, 2012

Just us girls

Isaak left last night for Germany.

He was suppose to leave Saturday night, but after sitting on the plane for about four hours they canceled the flight and Isaak showed back up at home at 3:30 in the morning. I didn't wake up until I heard him close the front door, which is when Anna jumped off the bed and went to her guard post at the threshold of our bedroom door. (thanks Anna, your standing there was very effective) Next thing I knew a man was walking into our bedroom. I was putting on my glasses as he was entering, but I didn't know it was Isaak, so I said, "Hello?!".

I have determined that if an intruder were to gain access to my home in the middle of the night...a "hello?!" wouldn't do me much good. *Note to self....figure out a better scare tactic for confronting a potential intruder.

Thankfully it was just Isaak.

Air France booked him another flight for Sunday night so we got one extra day with Isaak before he had to leave again. It was a very peaceful Sunday. Maybe one of the most peaceful and relaxed days we've had since we've moved here.

We went swimming as a family. Sydaleigh practiced her back stroke.
 Marvelly floated contentedly in her swim ring.
I baked bread. The girls played nicely. Me and Isaak lounged in bed for a while watching The God Father. It was reminiscent of our pre-kid days in California where we would stay in bed watching movies every Saturday and eat Digiorno pizza (because we had no money and it was my favorite pizza. Still is actually. :~) ) *(And may I just say I am writing down that I did in fact sit for an extended period of time watching The God Father Trilogy. Let it be known....in the event that I feel the need to have a Meg Ryan marathon.)

And then evening came and he actually got to leave this time.

And Isaak is now in the amazing Heidelberg. After seeing all of Bekah's pictures when she visited there this summer, and now Isaak being there....I need to go Germany someday! Oh, to roam the castles and cobblestone streets and take in the glory of the countryside would be wonderful.

But I digress.

Me and the girls are alone here in Burkina Faso. There are no castles or cobblestone streets, but we have red dirt roads and clay houses and the sub-Sahara as our countryside, and it is just as wonderful and picturesque.

And we're just hanging out, doing life until he gets home.

If you'd a told me before we came here that I would be husband-less just five weeks into living in a foreign country, in a language I don't speak, with no means of transportation...I probably would have cried.

But, I'm not dismayed. God's peace is ever present. Looking at our current circumstances it would be easy to feel anxious and worried....with all the recent uprisings and violent protests against Embassy's overseas and not too far from here, having no means of transportation if we had a problem medically or otherwise, and just the grind of daily life. But I'm not looking at my circumstances....I'm looking at the Lord. And by His strength I feel strong and well equipped to keep on handling life here until Isaak returns. Even if he is only gone for a week. :~)
(I have decided to spare Isaak from having to watch Australia with me, so I am watching it this week in his absence, but I make no such promises for You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, and City of Angels when he returns. Seems only fair. :~) )

2 comments:

D'Ache' said...

Yea!!! And you don't even have to go anywhere to go to the pool!

Holly said...

love you...proud of you!