Come on in...

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

You never know what you'll see here.

I was driving back from the Embassy yesterday morning, and on my route home I drove up next to a couple hundred people wearing white lab coats walking along the road. Hmmm...this is weird, and random, I thought. Wonder what they're doing? 
There were so many of them that they blocked traffic as they made their way around the traffic circle....the exact route I was taking home. We sat at the light for nearly ten minutes waiting for them to move.
And when I say they blocked traffic, I mean one of the lab coat wearing people took the role as traffic monitor and refused to let us pass until all his comrades made it through the intersection. This place cracks me up!
By the time traffic started moving again and I made it through the intersection I barely had enough room to drive around them. I was one of two lone cars that drove on the street with them. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that all the other cars were much smarter and just drove on the wrong side of the street towards oncoming traffic to get out of their path.
I much preferred dodging people with my car as I narrowly navigated myself between the throngs of lab coat wearing protestors while I took pictures with my camera. (Proud to say- I hit no one, man or moto!)

And then wouldn't ya know it, five hours later when I was leaving the grocery store, I passed them again as they were walking back on the other side of the street this time. So weird. And funny. And random!  

I see the most out of the ordinary things while driving. Like the young man at the intersection yesterday wearing a santa hat selling a bag of limes and an inflatable penguin. 

One of the many, many reasons I love Burkina. You NEVER know what you are going to see when you leave the house. It is so unpredictable! 

This is why I never leave home without a camera! 


3 comments:

Beccy said...

Did you ever find out what they were doing? Now it is going to bother me for days wondering! I am to curious for my own good. Thanks for sharing your beautiful country with us.

Unknown said...

I saw them in late morning (so early afternoon for you) outside the Ministry of Research or something like that on Charles de Gaulle. Must be some science-y thing!

Georgia said...

i have come to love that little country!