Come on in...

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Eve

It's that time of year again.

Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. I was standing in the kitchen a little while ago and the scent of the pumpkin pie drifted up to me and for a moment I was standing with my mom again. In the kitchen next to her, talking and laughing, as she pulled the pie from the oven....that familiar smell stirring up dozens of memories from Thanksgivings past.

I love those memories. I cherish them, especially having to celebrate Thanksgiving apart from each other.

It is my third Thanksgiving in Burkina Faso. And we are hosting again, for the second year in a row.

Tomorrow at 4pm our doors will flood open with friends, mostly loved ones. Our loved ones here. I can not be in Hilton Head for Thanksgiving. I can not spend it with my massive family, as tradition dictates. But I have the next best thing. I get to spend it with my family here. My real family. And our friends who are as close to family as you can get. We are a close bunch. And it will be a joy to gather with them tomorrow and celebrate together.

I know that no matter what happens, whether the turkey ends up dry, the ham cold, the house a mess, whether we're drinking out of plastic bottles and if there is not a single decoration in sight....it won't matter. It doesn't matter with these people. There is a comfort and an acceptance among us. And I love that.

Tomorrow, that is one of the many things I will be thanking the Lord for.

The incredible gift of friends that He has blessed us with here in Burkina.

My heart is happy tonight.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.....

1 comment:

Georgia said...

happy thanksgiving! 15th year in hilton head. i sure was remembering a lot today! gosh we have fun! glad you carried that to africa. love ya