Come on in...

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My 33rd birthday

I turned 33 years old five days ago.

The day of my birthday was a lovely affair. Quiet. Celebrated with just the family. Isaak and the girls treated me to a delicious red velvet cake, complete with pink cream cheese frosting. Followed by presents picked out by the kids, especially for me, from our favorite little boutique Nuance Gallery.
My sweet friend Jonette brought me over this awesome bouquet as well! This is probably the coolest most unique flower arrangement I've ever been given. I love it!
Marvelly was so excited it was my birthday she started wishing me a happy birthday the day before. When I told her it wasn't my birthday yet, she'd just respond with, "but I want to tell you happy birthday now!" My girl. I adore her enthusiasm for life.

 Sydaleigh picked me out a beautiful red scarf. Which I have big plans to wear once the weather cools off here in the mornings.
Marvelly picked me out these awesome patch pants! How could I leave Burkina without being the owner of a pair of these beauties!
I'll be the best dressed momma in Burkina thanks to these kiddos! My loves. 
And then this was Isaak's gift, this lovely new pearl ring. He has been wanting to get me a new ring for a long time, but I'm not a girl that really has any interest in fancy or expensive jewelry, so I've always dismissed it. For the past 14 years I've worn the ring my mom gave me when we got engaged and I have been so content and happy with that one. It is lovely to me. It has a silver band with a little tiny diamond in the center. It's not showy. It doesn't have that "wow!" factor. But I love it. It's simple. And I like simple things. I would have been satisfied wearing that the rest of my life. But Isaak wanted to buy me one that came just from him. Which I understand, and I love that he wanted to do that. So, I finally obliged and started looking at rings on Etsy, wanting something not expensive, but still pretty and unique. I settled on this one. A pearl with some tiny diamonds on each side. I still wear my mom's ring. I've got all three stacked on my finger right now! I just can't seem to part with it from my hand yet...it's been there for so long. But now I've got one on there from Isaak at least! 
A couple days after my official birthday we had a dinner celebration at Le Verdoyant with the crew (Rebecca, Seth, her parents who are in town!, Ben, Molly, Matt and Megan). Funny thing though. Matt and Megan happen to share the same birthday with each other. How weird is that?! Being born on the same day as your spouse....that's rare! Anyways, they celebrated their dual birthday the week before mine, so the plan was to "trick" them into coming to dinner and dessert afterwards under the guise that it was for my birthday. But then I was led to believe that dinner and dessert afterwards was in celebration of Matt and Megan's birthday. So, unknown to either of us, we were all asked to make a cake for the other. 
Upon arriving at our house after dinner we each had a cake waiting for each other! Ha! Mine had been sitting out on the table, and before dinner Matt got a house key from Isaak, sneaked inside, and put their cake for me in the freezer. They saw their cake sitting on the table but thought someone wanted in on the fun of making me a cake too, and didn't realize it was for them. I'm tellin' ya, we're a quick bunch! Ha ha! It was quite the moment when we all realized we were celebrating the other person! Truly, I have the best people in my life! Ah, good times.
They made me a Pentax camera cake! And I made them a chocolate bundt cake, which Matt saw and thought was a well! Being the well driller that he is. I did not even consider that when making the cake, but yes, it could be a well. Complete with chocolate "dirt" sediment at the bottom of the hole! I love it!

It was a great celebration. My family and friends are a gift and blessed me well. I felt spoiled and loved. I have spent birthdays in the past much quieter than this, with little fan fair and gifts. And then there are years like this one where the celebration is bountiful and overflowing. I have learned to be satisfied with both. Mostly, I appreciate the opportunity to usher in another year. To be here, with my people, and the blessing and deep joy that comes from loving them. 

God is good. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Melissa.

Beccy said...

Happy Happy (late) Birthday, friend!!! So glad it was a good one! It sure blesses my heart to see Steve so animated and happy and affectionate in your photos. He sure seems to fit super well. Love and God's great blessing on you and yours from CO.

Bekah Boo said...

I love Megan's face in the dinner table photo! hilarious :) i just love your people so much.

i love you, birthday girl!

and that ring!! Well done, Isaak (and you) ! :)